Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What's up? ...Politics

I like alliteration - can you tell? So our theme for Wednesday will be "What's up?" - which pretty much gives me the freedom to write about anything and everything on Wednesday.

Today I'll write on politics. Yep, I'm going there.

First of all, I don't believe either sides' ads. Of course they're going to twist things and turn things and put on a happy face and say what the public wants to hear. They want to win, and both sides are willing to do and say what it takes to get there. A part of me thinks that anyone smart enough and trustworthy enough to be the best president is smart enough to not run for president.

Secondly, I think that both candidates are probably great fathers and great husbands. I am sure that they watch movies and eat dinner and laugh at jokes with their families. I am sure that they are loving and caring and funny. But being a great family man and being a great leader of our country aren't synonymous.

Third, I'll admit that I judge people by the stickers on their car, the status' on their facebooks, the issues that they side with, and the candidate that they support. I walk by a car for a sticker of the candidate that I like, and I respect the driver a little more. I identify with them. They feel how I feel.

I think there are some important things to consider when voting, and it has nothing to do with the color of one's skin or which candidate has picked the winning NCAA team. Here's what I look at:

1. Leadership - First of all, I think a president should be a good leader. I do not want someone who can take care of me or who spends his (or her) time taking care of everyone else.  I DO want someone who can lead the country and take care of the big issues. 
 
2. Spiritual Beliefs - My worldview is completely colored by my relationship with Jesus Christ. Which candidate has a similar spiritual world view as I do? Whose beliefs cause them to support the same issues I support and give glory to the God that America was founded on?

3. Economic Policies - Which candidate deals with taxes and healthcare and business and other economic issues in the best way for our country, for our states, and for individuals?

4. Old Fashion Values - Which candidate stands firm on old-fashioned American values? I believe that this country was founded by a certain set of rights and beliefs and goals - and I want a candidate who understand that and values that and supports that.

5. Experience - Which candidate has the most knowledge, experience and understanding of the task at hand? We need someone with experience and inside-knowledge and management skills and training in what it takes to be a leader in the political field.

6. Hardwork - I want a leader who is a hardworker and who respects my hard work. Yes, I want someone who cares about others and is ready to help when needed, but I also want someone who doesn't give hand outs to those who aren't willing to try.

With this being election year, it's hard not to have thoughts on the subject. It's hard to hold my tongue. It's hard not to let people's political beliefs shape my view of them. But - no matter who wins - I have the responsibility to support my country and pray for our leaders.

One final note:  

Yesterday, I had the privilege of seeing a young lady get commissioned into the army. No older than 20 years old, just a college student, she swore to protect our country and to be willing to give her life for my freedom. In a moment like that you realize, that is what being an American is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment