Monday, September 10, 2012

Marriage Monday: My Person


Derrick is my person.

He. is. my. person.

Married people understand what I mean. Those who aren't married - if it's God's will - have much to look forward to when the time is right.

See...I don't think Derrick is a perfect person.
Sometimes he's a frustrating person.
Sometimes he's a silly person.
Sometimes he's the cutest person...sometimes he's not.

I know, better than anyone, Derrick's imperfections. I know and experience when he's having an off day or the best day. When he's ready to give up. When he's on top of his game.

But, no matter what, he's my person.

My person I can be completely crazy around. Completely vulnerable. Completely absurd. Completely real. 

I think that's what makes marriage. And makes marriage work.

Because he's my person. More than my partner, lover and friend. My person. Forever. We are intertwined. Our lives are one.

I think Wuthering Heights explains it best...

" If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it... My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment