Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thank God...For Barnabas

I want to be like Barnabas.

Have no idea what I'm talking about? Let's dig deeper.

I've been doing a bible study on Paul. What an awesome Christian with such an amazing passion for the Lord! But he's not my focus for today. See, in the beginning of his spiritual walk, Paul had a sidekick...

His name was Barnabas.

His birth name was Joseph. But his friends called him Barnabas - because it means "Son of Encouragement". 

Barnabas was one of the first Christians to accept and encourage Paul after his conversion.

Barnabas traveled alongside Paul as a partner, mentor and encourager.Paul was the fiery zealous preacher, Barnabas was the encouraging, supportive cheerleader.

They were persecuted together. They were called Christians together. They made a world of difference together.

I wasn't given the fiery passion of Paul. And maybe that's okay.

In my life. At work. In my marriage. I want to be a like Barnabas. I want to encourage. Support. Cheer for those I love.

 


Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means Son of Encouragement), 
 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet.
Acts 4: 36-37

He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, 
and a great number of people were brought to the Lord. 
Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, 
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. 
So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people.
 The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.
Acts 11:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment