Friday, September 21, 2012

Thank God...for my prayer journal.

I'm a writer.

I love when words flow from my fingertips, and I feel like my mind works better when it is putting together the romance that is words.

Sometimes when I talk aloud to the Lord, I get distracted. By the radio. By the things I need to be doing. By that noise I just heard. By so many things.

I've found that, for me, the best way for me to pour out my heart consistently in prayer is by writing my thoughts, my words, my thanks, my requests. And I do this in a variety of ways.

I have a prayer journal on the computer that I write in a few times a month. I write in it at the beginning of each month - to bless the month, pray for the events of the coming month, and bask in the fact that God is already there. He sees. He knows. He's there. And I write in it periodically throughout the month when I just want to bask in awe or pour out a burden.


I also have a daily notebook that I write in alongside my daily devotion. This is where I reflect to God. I thank Him specifically for that day. I share my feelings and thoughts. And I write my requests for that day.


The really cool thing is that every time I go to God, I can also see where we've been together. How He's been so faithful. How I've grown. How prayers have been answered and are being answered and which prayers still need to be faithfully brought to Him.

I encourage you to start a prayer journal. If you aren't a writer, then simply make a list of daily requests and praises as you pray aloud. Really, God wants you to come to Him completely - whether it's through spoken word or written word.

But it's really cool to write it down. See the journey. See your God work in amazing ways.




No comments:

Post a Comment