Friday, September 7, 2012

Thank God...for His blessings!

It is Easter afternoon this year. We're all having Easter lunch at Derrick and my home. Mom and Dad arrive - carrying a nice brown cloth laundry basket. It's an adult Easter basket of sorts...and my mom can't wait for us to open it.

Inside there is chocolate bunnies. Art. Gift cards. Shower gel and perfume. Clothes. Home goods: toilet paper, windex, paper towels, etc.

Jump ahead five months. It was my birthday, and Mom and I had spent a wonderful day together shopping. We're all at their house for my birthday dinner - and she brings over a reusable grocery bag. I reach in...to find jewelry. Clothes. My favorite shower gel and body spray. A new Beth Moore devotion book.

I always feel badly when my mom goes out of her way to shower us with gifts. It's too much. Really. Yes, I love it. But I also really really appreciate it and really really would be okay just spending the time together.

But, I've come to realize and don't take for granted, my mom loves giving me gifts. 

She loves picking out things just for me. She loves putting them in nice packages. She loves watching us get excited. She loves when we open each gift. She loves sharing our inheritance with us now. And she loves knowing that the gifts she's given us will bless us in the days to come.

How much more does God, my heavenly Father, love to shower His children with gifts! He is the Creator and Lord of all the earth. Blessings are His to create and bestow. And, oh, how He loves creating blessings for us. Wrapping them in nice earthly packages. Watching His children light up with excitement. Watching us realize each gift. And knowing that we will be blessed in the days to come.

Don't take His gifts for granted. But don't push them away either. Your Father loves blessing us beyond what we could ever ask or imagine. He loves surprising us with things that only He could do!

 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, 
according to his power that is at work within us,  
to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations,
 for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20-21 


 (Theme for Friday...you got it!...Thank GOD... it's Friday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment