Monday, December 5, 2011

Better with time...


I have been married two months and four days. I am no expert on marriage, although I'd like to believe that I have some insight on what it takes to be a good wife. I'm not perfect, and I don't claim to have the perfect marriage. I have no idea what the next month or year or lifetime of marriage is going to hold. All I know is that I will look over and see my best friend - even in the moments when I may forget that he truly is my best friend.

So what have I learned after two months of being married...


So far it has only gotten better. It's a mixture of comfortable and crazy about each other. Of flame and friendship. Of dependence and independence. Of understanding and mystery. 

It's fun when discovering new things about each other collides with the comfort of things you've always loved. 

I like that when we're watching TV, enjoying the simplicity of life and not doing anything too extraordinary, I can reach for his hand. And when I just need to feel him, he's there. 

I like that we have a routine, but that sometimes precious moments interrupt that routine and result in warm memories. 

I like that when I wake up in the middle of the night, he wakes up too. 

I like that we can be boring together. Silly together. Childish together. Adults together. 


He's my person. My person to hold me. My person to put out mousetraps and check them for me. My person to frustrate me and put up with me. My person to teach me and learn from me. My person that God thought of when He created me. My person. My best friend. My husband. 

Marriage isn't this miraculous fairy tale that is so different than life before. Marriage is simply a really cool extension of your relationship. A partnership that you don't' share with anyone else. A friendship that only the two of you truly understand. It's living life together...and sometimes in the middle of living life together you get some pretty amazing fairy tale moments. Some pretty awesome memories. Inside jokes. Laugh until you cry moments. 

I tell Derrick sometimes that I like that we can be "four year old best friends". And, while marriage means that we have bills and someone to share them with, responsibility and someone else to think about...it also means having that person that you think is really cool. That person that helps you discover the world. That you can sit beside and do nothing. That you can laugh with and go on adventures with. 

And one of my favorite moments is when my husband looks at me and says "You're my best friend."

 So, if you expect marriage to be all magical moments, roses, chocolates, and being swept off your feet - you may not be ready (not saying those things shouldn't happen occasionally). If you expect marriage to be really easy or if you expect marriage to be really hard or if you expect marriage to be completely life changing - maybe you should reevaluate. 

But if you're excited to grasp his hand and walk through life together - enjoying the boring, laughing at nothing, talking through your frustrations, putting your self aside sometimes, praying for each other, discovering new things, being comfortable with each other, working together, being best friends - then marriage is one of the coolest things ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment