Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Date Day and Coming Home...


Marriage Monday on a Tuesday. And it almost didn't happen - but my amazing husband thought I should share our Marriage Monday with you.

In January, Derrick and I decided to have a date day every month. By September, and wedding time, that had fallen to the side. After we got married, I was crazy busy at work. And once work slowed down for me, Derrick began his job - which takes all of his weekends. This doesn't mean we don't get to spend time together. We love just relaxing at the house, being silly and watching television and cooking and talking. But we hadn't been out on a date since we were married.

Derrick had yesterday off of work. And I had an extra vacation day to take. So I decided to choose yesterday, so that we could actually spend some time together during our first Christmas. Derrick will have to work until Christmas Eve evening, and then we'll be busy with family festivities, so I wanted just us to have a little time to celebrate and memory-make.

What a blessing it was! We slept in and then spent the morning in our pajamas - just being silly and talking and laughing.

Derrick and I are gift card fans. To the utmost degree. I laid out the remainder of our wedding and Christmas and birthday gift cards, and we planned our day. Bojangles for lunch with our $10 gift card - and we actually went in to eat! And then we headed shoe shopping (for Derrick) and to the mall for a little window shopping. It's fun just being together, discovering the world together.

After our window shopping, we went to see the Chipmunks (I love them, and would adopt them if I could...Theodore at least). We bypassed popcorn and coke at the movie - we always do - so that we could save the $15 on our gift card and go see another movie in a few months. I knew that my husband was making a sacrifice for me when, instead of the normal hollywood trivia, Play Disney controlled the previews. It was a cute movie, though...maybe not quite as good as the 2nd one.

Then we went to Noodles and Company for supper (yummm...). After that, we went used car browsing. This is always an experience, because my husband understands cars. I only know if I like the color. It was fun nonetheless. And I enjoy our car browsing time. 

Then it was to the Johnson household for Survivor finale night. Anyone who knows me - knows that Survivor night is a big deal. So finale night is the best of all nights. Full of on-the-edge-of-your-seat breath-holding, cheering and booing. Even if the final three were quite the motley crew of liers, decievers, and losers - it was still a great time.

It was a wonderful day. Simple. Inexpensive. Blessed. If you haven't been on a date with your spouse recently - make time to do so...even if it's nothing too extravagant.

*On a separate note, earlier I was talking to Derrick on his way into work - and he was asking me what we talked about this morning. I wake up and get ready before him, and he's always half asleep when I say goodbye. I told him that I gave him a goodbye kiss, and he gave me a compliment (I'm the best wife, I'm beautiful, etc.) - because he always compliments me before I leave. He smiled through the phone and said, "Well, of course, I want to make sure you come back to me each night." I thought that was brilliantly sweet. Husbands and wives, take time to appreciate your spouses - it will keep them coming home :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Sounds like an awesome day. Derrick cracks me up. Can't wait to see y'all :)

    Much love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete