Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mary and Martha - My Favorite Duo



I am a Martha. Through and through. I can't be at peace until the bed is fixed, the floor is vacuumed, and the dirty dishes are clean. I would be the one to invite Jesus over, try to make every detail perfect, cook the meal, set the table, worry that his food wasn't cooked just right, and then have to wash the dishes before sitting at His feet in worship. And don't ignore Martha's large part in this story - she is the one who opened her home to Jesus. She is the one who invited Him in and prepared for His arrival. 

" As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him." (Luke 10:38)

Now, I don't want to compare my husband to Christ in this story - but my role is the same...Derrick knows that if he gives me 10 minutes to fix the bed and wash the dishes, then he will have my attention. If those things aren't done, then I will be aching to get up and right the wrong.

There is a second woman in this story. Martha's sister Mary - who, honestly, probably would have annoyed me. While Martha was cleaning up the dishes, scraping off the fish, wrapping up the bread, Mary was sitting at the feet of Jesus. 

"She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said." (Luke 10:39)

 I don't think I would have verbally said anything. Honestly. But I would have scrubbed a little harder, talking to myself about my lazy sister Mary. Why do I have to do everything? I invited Him over. I prepared the meal. I fixed the table. I welcomed Him. And now I have to clean up. The scary thing is that Jesus would have heard my voice just as loud as He did Martha's: 

But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” (Luke 10:40) 

I almost imagine Jesus having to hold back a smile at this moment. I think He understood Martha completely. He knew what she was feeling.  He knew that she was doing all of this for Him. He loved her just as much as He loved Mary - and that is why He wanted Martha to spend this precious time with Him as well. She just didn't get it. Her perspective was all wrong. She was distracted by serving Him. He just wanted her to be with Him

Do you ever get distracted by serving Him? Busy with the bible studies, Sunday school lessons, church dinners, dozens of ministries. Or maybe, like me, you're just distracted by trying to do all the good things in life. Sometimes He just wants us to be with Him. To listen. To focus on Him. To marvel in Him. To fall in love with Him. To adore Him. To worship Him.

So Jesus rebukes her. I like to believe He did so gently, knowing her spirit. She was trying so hard, she just didn't get it. 

"Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41,42)

Mary has chosen what is better. That statement would have aggravated me. Or, said by Jesus Christ, my Friend and Savior, may have broken me. What Martha was doing wasn't in and of itself wrong. But Mary had chosen what was better. Total abandon and focus on Jesus Christ. Total worship. Total adoration.

Both Martha and Mary were important in Christ's ministry. And, something that touches my heart so deeply, they were His friends. If it would have been possible - Christ would have cared about these two more than most other women. They were near and dear to His heart. But the awesome thing is, we can be His friends too. He invites us to invite Him in to our homes and worship at His feet. To prepare for Him and know Him. 

Both Martha and Mary were important in this story. Martha invited Christ over. He wouldn't have been there if not for her. His physical, human needs may not have been met if it weren't for her servant's heart. Mary invited Christ in. His Deity wouldn't have been adored and worshiped in full if it weren't for her. 

I think that Marys and Marthas have a thing or two to learn from one another. But I think we all have something to learn from Jesus: 

"...you are worried and upset about many things,  
but few things are needed—
or indeed only one."

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts that I have "chewed" on many times. We all need to be more like Mary in the fact that we sit STILL before Him. I am still learning that at 40.

    ReplyDelete