Saturday, November 5, 2011

The search for our hobby...

It was our first Sunday in the couples' Sunday School class at church. We were in our small group, when another couple asked "So, do the two of you have any hobbies?"

Silence.

Uhhh...Hobbies. Yeah. We watch TV. 

I'm at Campbell a lot.

And so began the search for our hobby. 

I wish I could say that I had time to be crafty. That scrapbooking or sewing or turning trash into treasure was a hobby of mine. But, as cute as all of that Better Homes and Gardens stuff is, I hardly have the time, resources, or creativity to be crafty. Maybe one day. 

I'd like to think that we had some adventurous hobby, like tennis or jogging. But I've never played tennis in my life. And jogging makes it hard for me to breathe. Hiking would be nice. Maybe one day.

Then there's the idea of a romantic hobby. Doing pottery together. Discovering gems of antique stores or hidden mom and pop restaurants. Painting or playing an instrument. I'm not sure if we have the money or talent for those things...but maybe one day. 

Since they asked the question, though, and now that we're settled in our home, I have focused on finding my hobby. I enjoy reading and haven't done much lately. I went to the library - and now make time to get lost in my fiction Amish world and get to know the apostle Paul a little better (two separate books). I love writing...I have started blogging again - and hope to find a more steady role as a blogger. And I'm hoping to print another book soon. Plus, I do love my job - and Campbell offers concerts and plays and parties and friendships and fellowship. So that can still be a hobby. 

Derrick's hobby is definitely videos and video games.

And we both enjoy photography. 

So maybe we do have hobbies. They may not be flashy. Kind of simple. But that's who we are and that's what we have time for. Maybe one day I'll be a sporty, crafty, talented, artsy woman. Maybe one day. 

I want to hear from you! What are your hobbies? Do you have any hobbies with your significant other?

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand. We're tv-aholic's too! We've recently started watching less tv on tv, and choosing only our favorite shows online later in the week.

    Some new hobbies that have blossomed in my life:
    - reading! (audio books and regular type)
    - sewing and crafts! (I'm starting sewing some christmas presents, borrowing my mom's machine)
    - programming! (I'm learning a new language)

    My husband is a language nerd and reads and studies ALL the time - even though he's not currently a student. So we don't really share those hobbies.. but reading works together, even if I'm reading a great fantasy or mystery novel and he's reading a technical book on Latin or Greek.

    ReplyDelete