Sunday, May 5, 2013

Taking Back Sabbath

It sounds like the name of a CD...or book...

But it's the stage of life I'm in. 

In the Old Testament, God makes the Sabbath a priority. A big deal.

In the New Testament, Jesus took time to rest. (Mark 6:31)

But, in today's society and in my mind, busier is better. You always have to be doing more and more. To just sit and relax means that you're not doing something you should be doing. To be exhausted is good. 

Lately, I've been grasping to work out my priorities. Every week night has been booked. Every Sunday has been busy from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Some Saturdays are filled with work, some filled with household responsibilities. All important things, all good things...but altogether it can be a little overwhelming.

Derrick and I are going to our new church - Hope Community. The service we go to is at 5 p.m., which means - starting today - we have all day Sunday to ourselves. This makes me feel guilty...but I think God knew I needed it. 

It's time to take back the Sabbath. Spend some time with Jesus. Sit on the back porch and take in creation. Snuggle with my husband. Get in the Word together. Pray for the week ahead. Watch a movie. Go grocery shopping together. Visit relatives. Go for a walk. 

See, I think God gave us a Sabbath - a day of rest - for three reasons:

Time
He wants us to spend time with Him. To give a portion back. To hang out with Him, rest in Him, meet with HIm, focus on Him. 

Trust
He wants us to trust Him with our lives. Set aside the need to control everything, to always be busy, to be planning and doing - and trust Him.

Take Care
He designed our bodies, our spirits, our minds, and our world. He knows that going going going all the time wears on us. He wanted to take care of us. To give us a time of rest. 

So, I'm excited. Selfishly excited to have some more time available. Spiritually to spend some more time getting to know Jesus. I'm praying I can take back the Sabbath. I'll let you know how it goes. 

This morning we slept in. Woke up and read Philippians 4 together, prayed for the week, listened to our favorite worship songs, and then watched a live sermon from SeaCoast church in South Carolina - all in bed. Then we made our grocery list for the week and went grocery shopping together. When we got home, I did the budget and picked out my clothes for the week...then we headed to visit some of my relatives who we haven't seen in eight months...although they live right next door.
It has been a Day of Rest.


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
 and I will give you rest."
 Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment