Saturday, October 20, 2012

What's Fair is Fair

Thursday night, with cans in hand and frustration from parking out the window, Derrick and I made our way into the fair. It was both of our first time in years and our first time together. We were there to meet up with our life group at church - and it would be my first "group of friends" trip to the fair.

What I like about the fair:

Walking around with friends - It was a fun dynamic. Very Noah's Ark as we all had our "buddy", and we fell in line two-by-two. Then we'd find ourselves with new buddies, talking and eating and getting to know each other better. We'd celebrate each time we walked 20 feet by huddling together and discussing what was our next stop. Sometimes people would disappear for periods of time...but they'd find their way back eventually.

Seeing the people of North Carolina - It could have been Honey Boo Boo's family reunion. With the food. The wardrobe. The political stickers. The stuffed animals.The character...

The lights and romance - There's something romantic, small-town, movie-magical about the lights and sounds and blurry busy-ness of the fair. The heritage. The tradition. What can you expect from a girl whose favorite movie is The Notebook?


What I don't like about the fair:

The crowd - So many people everywhere! Derrick and I don't do well with crowds. In fact, if it weren't for our awesome friends - we probably would have just gotten his turkey leg and headed out.

The overwhelmingness - I get overwhelmed easily. At the library I always go back to the exact same books because otherwise I would get overwhelmed with so many books and give up. I like Aldi because there are only one or two brands of everything - at Food Lion I get overwhelmed by my choices and give up. The fair is the same way...so many vendors with so much food yelling so many things and selling so many things. The overwhelmingness was reason one why I didn't buy anything for myself at the fair.

The prices - I'm cheap - and unlike people who have their thing that they always have to get at the fair - I don't. Lemonade for $5. Funnel Cakes for $7. Cotton Candy for $7. Ham Biscuits for $4. I can make lemonade. Funnel cakes and cotton candy aren't necessary. And my Mama makes a mean ham biscuit for free. The cost was reason two why I didn't buy anything for myself at the fair.

Overall, it was a very fun experience, and I feel blessed that we had such great friends to share it with...and that I had a husband's hand to hold so that I didn't get lost!


No comments:

Post a Comment