Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Whoa! Smart phones and playing house...

Tonight I had dinner with three of my dearest friends - Cari, Jessica, and Whitney. These are friends that I've known all of my memorable life (since 3rd, 7th, and 10th grade). Friends I've grown up with. Dreamt with. Made a million memories with. Celebrated 13th birthdays and 16th birthdays and now 25th birthdays with.

We talked about being single and being married. Work and family. Dreams and fears. Television and books...all the same things we've been talking about for 13 years.

At the end of our time together, we all pulled out our smart phones and began to discuss scheduling our next time together over a month from now. And in that moment there were several things going through my mind:

1. Whoa! Has it really been seven years since we were seniors in high school? Seven years since my three friends turned 18? Whoa.

2. It's such an awesome blessing that we are all still friends after all this time. After different colleges, different states miles away, different jobs, different paths...And now we're on the other side of many of the things we used to dream about, and we're still doing it all together.

3. We took it for granted. See for many many years I didn't have to schedule time with these girls. It was simply part of life. We got to see each other every single day. We had lunch together every single day. We didn't have to catch up on each others lives, because we were each others lives. And we didn't realize at the time what an awesome gift that was.

4. Does the fact that I feel really cool and "grown-up" scheduling things on my smart phone make me a bad adult?

Yep, most of the time I still feel like that teenage girl dreaming about being older and married. But it's really fun to be there, even if it does feel like I'm just "playing house".

No comments:

Post a Comment