Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Prayer

Last Tuesday night at 2 a.m. I woke up. I couldn't catch my breath. I started panicking - which only caused my heart to start racing and my body to shake. Derrick was so amazing - even though I know he must have been scared. In the midst of this scary moment, all I could think to say - in between just telling him that I was scared and didn't feel right - was "Pray." 

He prayed.

It didn't take away my symptoms. I was still freaking out, thinking the worst. But no matter how scared I was, I knew that it some way it would be okay. It may hurt. It may suck. But it would be okay. God would heal me. God would give me strength. God would work it out. God would use it for good. Or (in my freaking out state of mind) if I died, then I would be in heaven, whole and complete again. 

(I'm much better now, by the way.)

When I watch television shows and someone gets in an accident or find out they have cancer or something tragic - I always feel like they should pray. I wait for someone to speak up and say "I'm praying for you." I wait for spouses to bow their heads or families to gather round. Of course, in the secular world, prayer isn't the natural answer. And that's sad. 

I am so blessed to live surrounded by people who will pray for me. And I am so blessed to have a God who will listen.

"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!" Psalm 46:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment