Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why I love my job today...

I love my job for many many reasons, but I want to talk a little bit about why I love my job today.

I am currently in the midst of Orientation preparation. Orientation is the pinnacle event of the year. It's the welcoming party to the next group of Campbell students. Every year, I get to touch hundreds of students' lives in a very small way - by encouraging them and helping them come to Campbell, a place that I believe in, to get a wonderful education from amazing faculty. It's true that, as dozens of files come across my desk, I don't always have time to give them individual thought. But I try my best not to touch hundreds of students...but to touch one student at a time.

Each student is a person - a life that I have the opportunity to encourage and reach out to. All of these students have goals. Friends. Family. A past. They have dreams and a future - and I get excited wondering what that future might be and what part Campbell will play in that. Will they become a lawyer or a doctor? Will they play sports or be in theatre? Will they meet their bridesmaids or their groom?
When talking with these kids, I try to get to know their heart and respond to them as an individual. Some need reassurance. Some need you to be excited with them. Some need you to be firm. Some don't have a clue and need direction. Some need a break from their parents. Some need comfort. Some need laughter. I am so blessed as I meet these families and get to know these students. And they constantly surprise me and remind me of why I'm there.

Today I called about 100 students to encourage them to register for Orientation. Most didn't answer. Some had encouraging answering machines with a chorus of voices or a genuine "God bless". Some answered and seemed uninterested or distracted. But there are two who answered that embody why I love my job.

1. A mom of one of our future students answered the phone on the last ring. With a lighthearted laughter in her voice, she explained that she had rushed over. She was making chocolate chip pancakes with her kids. She was so sweet and genuine, and we talked for a little while. She represents so many of the families that I am blessed to meet. Sure, there are a lot of broken families. Struggling families. Indifferent families. But I love when I meet that family that connects with my heart. The country accents, the outgoing stories, the kind smiles, the curious questions and excitement. And I am reminded of one of the reasons I love my job...I love my job because of moms who still cook pancakes with their kids.

2. I was in the process of leaving a message when a guy answers the phone. He has a curious eagerness in his voice, as he assures me that he is in the process of registering. He asks if he should stay on campus the night of Orientation, and we talk about it. I can hear his excitement as we discuss the activities of Orientation -  how much he is looking forward to this new experience. I love that. He tells me that he is sending in his medical forms and wants to make sure that everything else is in. He's working this summer, but is doing his best to send us everything that we need. I tell him I am proud of him, because I am. He is eager and excited for college. And he is taking responsibility and working hard. He gives me hope.

I am excited to meet my students in a little over a week, and welcome them to the next chapter of their lives (Whitney and I roomed at Orientation - good memory. Derrick and I met at Orientation...and it all began).

And that is why I love my job today.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you love your job.... you are quite wonderful at what you do!! :)

    ReplyDelete