Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Will you marry me?

THE PERFECT WEEKEND

I had look forward to this past weekend for a while (and, really, I've been looking forward to it my whole life). I love all of the moments and memories I get to share with Derrick, with my family. God has blessed me so much with those closest to me.

After work on Friday, Daddy, Mom, Derrick, and I loaded in the car and headed down to our beach house - stopping for Bojangles on the way. Which is a rare, delicious treat.  I think Derrick and I slept part of the way - but we were awake long enough to see the skyline of Wilmington lit up across the river...beautiful.

When we arrived at the beach house a random collection of funny events happened. My dad flipped out because the television wasn't working correctly; even though we were playing cards together, he still needed the television to work. I decided I liked no television - it made me feel Amish...and then I proceeded to teach Derrick some Amish words and phrases...which ended in very tearful laughter and a slew of random dutch-ish phrases...It was a wonderful night.

Saturday morning I was greeted with Derrick sticking his head in my room and saying good morning. Because it was freezing, he came and joined me under the covers...my mom coming to join us and discuss the day ahead. We all had a nice lunch at Chilis and then went to Walmart (something that my dad was very much looking forward to) - where i looked at home decor and Derrick found a cheap way to make a very expensive piece of camera equipment (he is beautifully innovative).

Next, we were on our way to Sunset Beach. I took my shoes off, excited to walk barefoot in the sand. Took some pictures of my wonderful parents - who have been an example of love and marriage to me my whole life. Then Derrick and I took pictures and walked on the beach...the whole time, I was thinking that this would be the perfect time for him to propose. A perfect day. A perfect moment. ...didn't happen.

After that, we went shopping. Derrick found the perfect shoes - shoes we had been looking for for months - at a wonderful price. Despite the annoying salesman pushing us to leave, we got the shoes. Then we ate delicious appetizers at my family's favorite restaurant in Myrtle Beach - and I truly enjoyed time with my family. It's one of my favorite things we do, and I love family traditions. God has blessed Derrick and I both with wonderful families! After supper, we walked around Barefoot Landing and stopped for Krispie Kreme on the way out; and headed home that night.

At one point, Derrick asked me how my day was. I said "It was perfect, it was the perfect day." - Of course, I said it in a frustrated, pouty voice. It was the perfect day, and I was imperfectly impatient.

Saturday night and Sunday were full of card games, Twister, relaxing, television, good food, family time... but I was quickly accepting the fact that this was another lesson in patience. He wouldn't ask during this perfect weekend. He wouldn't ask during February. It would be another new month, praying and wondering, and waiting. (Side note, several times during the day I poked Derrick, not telling him why. They were all pokes to get out my frustration at him not asking during this perfect weekend.)


THE PROPOSAL


Sunday night Derrick decided we should go get a milkshake. We used to get milkshakes ALL the time right after we started dating...but we haven't done that in 2 years, so it was a little different. We headed to Cookout and got our chocolate nut (with extra nuts) milkshake.

1 mile from my house, he turns the radio to a song that was one of our songs when we first started liking each other. It reminded him of me :) So then it reminded me of him :) He parked at the house and said he wanted to finish the song...I thought that was really sweet, so I laid my head on his shoulder. It was quiet, with the song playing in the background. I wanted to breathe in the moment.

Next thing I know, Derrick is telling me that his luggage is falling on his head. oookay. So I hear him rustling around in the back. Next thing I know, he pulls out a big plastic diamond ring.

"Will you take this?" He asked...

"Yes." I said, somewhat inquisitively. At that moment, he pulled out the engagement ring.

"Now, will you take this one?"

"YES!" I answered, and then I gave him a kiss. As I pulled away, I whispered "Isn't there something you should ask now?"

"Lillian, will you marry me?" ...oh, how I've longed to hear those words!!!

In the moment he asked it was like the world was spinning. It was a moment I had looked forward to my whole life and had somewhat expected for a few months - but I didn't really expect it at that moment. Did this man really want to marry me? Was this really happening? I needed to remind myself to remember every detail.

After that we stayed in the car and talked about everything. He admitted that he had wanted to ask at the beach - but he hadn't talked to my parents yet. And then he planned to go on a walk Saturday night on the beach and ask then, but my Dad decided to come home early. God had it planned - Sunday afternoon I was restless, so I went to visit my grandma...giving Derrick (not on propose) the perfect opportunity for him to talk to my parents.


Now, I get to marry my best friend!!! After years of praying for and dreaming about, waiting for and preparing for, wondering about and thinking of my future husband - I finally get to marry him! And I finally know that it was Derrick that I was covering in thoughts and prayers all of those years and all of those moments!

Hmm...Mrs. Green :)

4 comments:

  1. MRS. GREEN!!! I have been waiting and waiting for this blog post! :) I am SO excited for you guys. I hope you know that! I love you so much and am excited to see where God is taking you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! Oh...and I remember the milkshakes at cookout...and I think there were some KFC trips too! LOL CONGRATS! SO, Sooooooo HAPPY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very happy for you. Your thoughts on when he would ask you reminded me of when Mr. Fowler would ask me.... some almost 19 years ago. Enjoy each precious moment. Hugs to you until I can see you in person. You know I will always love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Renee, I'm so happy for you! I remember when you and Derrick first started liking each other. I think I should send you two my giant notebook as a wedding present haha. You deserve all of the happiness that I know will come your way.
    Love and miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete