Saturday, March 19, 2011

Who surrounded me when we were only girls...

I was sitting here looking forward to the celebration of my friend Ashley's wedding tomorrow and thinking about all we've been through...and how amazed I am at the beautiful woman Ashley has become.  Reading my best pal Whitney's blog, which focuses on being married, I began thinking about how awesome it is that we can all come together for events like this.

I am surrounded by a beautiful group of women who inspire and encourage me. But the true blessing is that these are the same women who surrounded me when we were only girls. Girls dreaming about being 16. Girls dreaming about first kisses, first dates, and wondering who we would end up with. Girls unsure about college and the real-world. And now we are blessed to be living those days we always dreamed about - and, not only did we dream together, but now we get to see those dreams become reality together.

Ashley and I met in 2nd grade. We were both new at WCA, and we had every elementary class together. While we were always friends, we became closer in 9th grade yearbook and traveled to the beach together before 11th grade as co-editors, where we saw The Notebook, ate dippin' dots, watched Zoolander and a Behind the Scenes of Poltergeist special, and went on the set of Dawson's Creek. Ashley has a wonderful way of being friends with everyone...and truly being their friend. Truly caring and making time for everyone. I am so happy that she has found Jordan;she deserves that happiness. She's going to be a beautiful bride and a wonderful wife.

Whitney and I became best friends in 4th grade on the swing set, and we have been best friends every since. 8th grade was a favorite time for us, full of crazy memories, and 9th grade held a lot of challenges. I could write a book about our friendship...so I'll leave it with this: There are those people who not only know all of your memories but were there for all of your memories - that is Whitney. We even went to college together and, some fourteenish years later she is still my very best pal. I loved seeing Whitney fall in love with Aaron - and am inspired by the love they have for each other. I was blessed to be her maid of honor, and even more blessed to have her as my matron of honor.

Bethany and I are third cousins, playing Mother May I and Simon Says at family reunions when we were little. It wasn't until middle school, right after she had came to Wake, that we became friends. We may have began hanging out because we were related...but she is now one of my dearest friends. We have been through a lot together and made so many memories in middle and high school and recently...I have loved seeing her become the woman that she is today. She knows where I come from. She gets it. And I can always count on Bethany to be there for me. She was the first to get married, and I am proud of the wife she is.

Jessi. Jessi and I were always friends-ish...but I didn't want to get to close to someone who serenaded me with "Renee's Got a Banjo!" and kept me up until 5 in the morning because she thought her dad was a burglar.  Senior year we took current events together and played with each other's hair. And, one spring break day senior year, I get a call from Jessi, asking me if I wanted to go prom dress shopping with her..we fell in love that day. She has been through many college experiences with me and has been a constant friend through many growing pains. We both act mature, but share a "wow, is this really happening?" mentality and a love for cute underwear. She and Evan met and fell in love quickly - but I am amazed at how real and supportive and fun their love is.

Jessica and I have always shared a creative kindred spirit. We became friends quickly when she came in 10th grade, and I'm very glad we did. She shares a quaint love of Wilmington's charm...we saw Chad Michael Murray together and spent the night bursting into giggles. I love going on adventures with Jessica. No matter what happens or how long we go without seeing each other - Jessica and I share a connection and can pick right up where we left off. I can think of so many great memories involving Jessica, memories that always make me smile.

Carrie and I were friends since middle school (or before), when we shared whispered home ec conversations about boys and odd-looking girls. Carrie has such a zest for life, and I am amazed at how well she knows me. After being friends with someone so long little things remind you of them constantly...boy meets world, gilmore girls, musicals, literature, CYT, and numerous other things I can't tell you (or I'd have to kill you). Carrie has an amazing heart, a brilliant, hardworking brain, a contagious confidence... and she's had an appreciation for orange far before I did.

Cari is such a sweet kindred spirit with a caring heart. When I think of Cari, I think of how nurturing she is - and she is a loyal friend. I still remember meeting her in the hallway in 7th grade...and she was the one who always put up with, even encouraging, my many crushes throughout the years. Ahhh...we experienced yearbook together and had the pleasure of making fun of many choral concerts. She is another kindred spirit, in the way that Jessica is, and, like Carrie, so many things remind me of Cari...certain songs, many televisions shows, and many random moments. I'm excited to see the amazing things that Cari is going to do.

Sarah and I had many classes together in elementary and middle school, but I remember growing closer to Sarah on a football field bleacher - when we, along with Carrie and Whitney, created a certain club...it still makes me smile. Sarah is adorable and talented, and we've also been through a lot together - but I love seeing the great things that she is doing in her life now.

I am so glad to have these ladies in my life...and I'm excited to have them celebrate my dream come true with me in the fall!

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy"

3 comments:

  1. Renee, this is such a wonderful post! I am so excited to be "doing life" together with you ladies. Stoked to see you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sweet, Renee.... and to think I taught 3 of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reneeeee! I just saw this. So sweet. I LOVE all of the girls you mentioned (and YOU) and am so blessed to know them! God has been so good to us. You are a constant inspiration and I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete