Wednesday, January 5, 2011

...And if I had the choice, I'd do it again!

Ohio: Day 1

Going to a new place is always an adventure. You get to see places you've never seen and meet people that you wouldn't have otherwise met - and my time in Ohio was no different.

The 10 hour ride up went by more quickly than we had expected - passing through snowy hills and mountains, over bridges and through small towns, finally to arrive at our destination. The drive up was filled with a random selection of tunes and random topics, tired eyes and bursts of noise to keep Derrick awake.

As soon as we got there, I had about an hour to eat and get ready before it was time for the "bachelorette party". I didn't know what to expect and my stomach was in knots as I tried to navigate around Cincinnati, but I was at ease about the party and excited to see Jessi!

Jessi met me at the door with one of our squealy hugs, and I was happy to have this opportunity to celebrate this time in her life. Jessi's friends were unbelievably amazing and sweet! It is such a blessing that God's daughters can be connected by the heart and by a shared joy and come together in celebration, and this definitely was a celebration. I met everyone, trying not to become Jessi's shadow...and a conversation about how undeniably amazing sweet tea is ensued. They didn't understand.

After we had all eaten a little, we joined together in a time to talk to God about Jessi and Evan. We prayed for a wonderful, memorable, stress-free next few days. A romantic honeymoon. And a blessed life together. A life that would help Evan and Jessi continue to grow in love with each other and grow in the Lord - serving Him side-by-side. What a blessing!

Next came our murder-mystery game. Immediately I was out of my comfort zone. Amanda explained that we would all be a character, receiving a packet of notes to tell us our biography, how to act, and what part we play in this story. I'm not at actress. I direct. I encourage from the background. I don't act. And a part of me wanted to run away...but I was the murderer (unbeknowns to anyone), so I had to push forward.

The story unfolded and everyone played their character brilliantly. When the time came for guessing the murderer - no one guessed me. Then I revealed the truth and read my confession: "...I killed her! And if I had the choice, I'd do it again!"

Although the game forced me out of my little bubble, it was a great way to get to know everyone - and left me with so many blessing and great memories!



Stay tuned for Ohio: Day 2


2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I'm glad you are blogging about your trip and I'm glad it was awesome. :) You rock, Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounded like a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete