Monday, January 10, 2011

Searching for familiar faces in a sea of unfamiliarity...

Ohio: Day 3

6:15 a.m. came early on the first day of the new year. Although I'm sure that I was blessed to have a lot more sleep than almost anyone else in the bridal party. I made sure all of my stuff was packed up, put on bummy clothes and a little bit of make-up, and then headed down to Derrick's room. He was remarkably sweet for that early in the morning and we headed towards the hotel.

2 pairs of shoes, a pink bridesmaids dress, and a bag of makeup in hand - I kissed him goodbye and headed up to room 421. A cloud of hair spray, chorus of bridesmaids, and an anxious bride met me when I opened the door. The day was upon us.

I sat next to Lauren and began doing my make-up. Most days I feel like my make-up is a near failure. Sure, it helps - but it could help more. Somehow, though, on wedding days God allows me to pull it off - or at least gives me the confidence to believe I did. After makeup, I sat on the toilet as Katherine did my hair. We talked about school and plans, family and God's will - what a beautiful time with an amazing woman! Not only am I thankful for Katherine's heart but for her talent; Lord knows I can NOT do my hair.

In a rush, we were off to the church. Once there, I disappeared to a stall to put my dress on and shared some time with the bride in the stall next to me. What a blessing it is to share these precious moments with your best friends on a day that was once only dreamed about and whispered about long into the night at sleepovers. Later, Jessi, in her white dress and ready to become Mrs. Chiu, serenaded me with "Renee's, Got a Banjo" - a little tune she created to annoy me in P.E. in 9th grade. That singular moment meant a lot to me. And became one of those moments you see in a movie - the moment where scenes from the past decade would flash across the screen.

For only a fleeting moment it was just Jessi and I...in 9th grade P.E...gym shorts down to our knees and baggy gray t-shirts. A volleyball...or badmitten...game going on around us. Jessi jumping around singing. Jessi and I discussing girly things and finding friendship in a "You too? I thought it was only me..." moment. And then I blinked. And we were in the church on her wedding day. She was in a wedding dress, and I a bridemaid's. And it's amazing to know that when I was laying on Jessi's floor trying to get some sleep, wishing I was anywhere but there as Jessi screamed about a murderer in her house at 5 a.m. - God saw her wedding day. He was there, and He knew everything that would unfold to get us to that moment. And here we were.

The next moments passed with deep breaths, buckling shoes, excited giggles, and pretzels. Then we were in a stairwell hallway - as Jessi willed the moment to seem real. Before we knew it, it was time to walk out. My silver stilettos took one step at a time, and I remembered to stand straight and smile. Make it to the stage and then focus on not fainting.

The ceremony was beautiful - filled with fun moments. Jessi and Evan couldn't stop smiling, giggling, playing with each other's hands, hopping up and down. She almost put the ring on the wrong finger - but a chorus of voices from the front row whispered advice, as only parents can.

As I was standing on stage, I looked out at the crowd. This is something I've done in all of the weddings I've been in, finding familiar faces and giving them knowing smiles. Here I was searching for familiar faces in a sea of unfamiliarity. I could see Derrick's hair in the back of the sanctuary, but no one's eyes met my own. For a moment I was sad. There wasn't a row of my beautiful friends, all huddled together in celebration. My mom wasn't there with tears in her eyes... but it was okay. I had to stand a little straighter and get lost in the vows being promised in front of me. I was there for Jessi.

"Ever Ever After" became the soundtrack as Jessi and Evan were announced to the congregation of friends and family as husband and wife. I waited with the bridesmaids and other guests, as Jessi and Evan hugged everyone. I was so happy when I saw Derrick coming down the ramp into the waiting room! He was so amazing, and I felt joy when I found a smile on his face.

We sent them off with bubbles, and they circled the block to come back for pictures. An hour or so later, I waited in a sketchy warehouse looking room in the back of the reception hall. We were going to be announced out onto the balcony and when the doors opened the room looked like something from a fairy tale. Everyone was below us, looking up and clapping their excitement.

Food and speeches (Amanda's and Mr. Buker's were amazing, btw). Then we all got up to do the Cha Cha Slide. I'm not much a wedding dancer, so I appreciated the fact that the bridal party was pretty much required to participate. It was a fun moment and something I'll always remember.


Then, far earlier than I would have wished, Derrick and I had to head out. It was already 3 p.m. - and we had a 10 hour drive ahead of us. So we said good-bye to the beautiful couple, and I tried not to feel horrible for leaving early. I wanted to stay and celebrate. I wanted to dance and laugh and make more memories. But the open road was calling, and it was a good thing we left when we did.

The road trip home was dark, rainy, sleepy, and long. And wonderful. I enjoyed it  maybe more than the trip up - because our tired state of mind forced us to blare some random rap music, snapping our fingers and dancing to the beat. We stopped for a late supper in Marian, Virginia - and I was very excited to be in the home of my friend, Sarah McNeil! The road trip home took us off the GPS map, deep into the Kentucky mountains, past several Wendys before actually stopping, and filled the car with  crazy tunes, laughter, and two people who are blessed enough to be best friends in love.

I was so glad to get home too. My bed and sweet tea are amazing.

4 comments:

  1. this blog was amazing :) you capture memories in such amazing words! I felt as if I were there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! So exciting! I think you should chronicle all our weddings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories for you. :) Glad you got home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful! I had no idea you were doing a blog about the wedding weekend. It was such a blessing to read because it went by so fast and I feel like I missed it all! Plus, you are an excellent writer! What a beautiful gift! Thank you! I'm glad that those moments in the stall and the times I was serenading you were as meaningful to you as they were to me! I feel the same way! We are growing up so fast so many times I flash back to our lives in High School! THe times we hid ourselves in the bathrooms to discuss "secret" things :) Seems just like our recent bathroom girl time! I'm so blessed you were able to make it! Thank you again for doing this! Always and forever!! - Jessi P.S. I agree with Carrie! :)

    ReplyDelete