Thursday, January 6, 2011

The moments before the air erupted in celebration...

Ohio: Day 2

It's always exciting to wake up in a new city - the air of possibilities and curiousity of the unknown embracing you. I woke up around 8:15, happy for a little extra sleep. Pink tights. Blue jean skirt. Pink tee. Brown Sweater. Ready for seizing the day :) Then I headed to Derrick's room to make sure he was up and ready. Good morning, Honey!

The church was our first stop - and we found that with ease...thanks to Thelma (GPS). I wanted to go help decorate, spend more time with the wedding party, and introduce Derrick to everyone so he would feel more at ease during the various events. I also finally got to see Mrs. Juli - who was like a second mom to me during the summers around freshmen year. The decorating didn't take long - rearranging flowers and deciding whether or not to use reeds. Opening bubbles and arranging them. The decision process took the longest.

Then it was time for Derrick and I to be on our own in the big city. Time for new adventures. Endless Opportunities.

First we pulled over in a mall parking lot, finding many restaurants and possibilities of things to do. But none of them satisfied us. I had promised Derrick Long John Silvers, something that he had fond memories of as a child - so we punch it in the GPS and on we go. We were the only customers in the Long John Silver, which always makes me a little nervous. Plus, fast food fish for lunch - the concept seems a little odd. But it was better than I had expected. And not as good as Derrick remembered. Cross that off the list.



Time for the zoo. We had planned to spend the afternoon exploring the Cincinnati Zoo, and I was excited. We had never been to a zoo together. After driving around the block several times, Thelma getting mad at me, we finally pull in. (I will preface this next part by saying that Derrick and I are very tight with our budget. Very. We don't go to movies. We eat fast food, hardly ever going out to eat. I don't buy things for myself...). The lady says it's going to be $7 for parking. $7! I ask how much admission is...$14 a person. Quick calculation lets me know that it's going to be a $35 trip. Nope. Sorry. No zoo.

Back to the hotel - where I fell asleep and Derrick watched Top Gear and played on the computer. Relaxation and sleep = boring success!

The rehearsal dinner that night went very well. Tortellini and prime rib! Cheesecake and good company! Swords and wands! Tears and sweet words...it was a good time of fellowship, as was the rehearsal. Everything went well, and I enjoyed spending more time with the girls.


New Years Eve! Derrick and I pulled into White Castle on our way back to the hotel and ordered a random assortment of new things. Then we had high hopes of sparkling grape juice, a movie, sliders, a midnight kiss.

Sparkling grape juice in plastic cups accompanied our White Castle burgers...and no movie was chosen. Around 10:30 I realized that the chances of us making it to midnight weren't looking too good - so I suggested we pray for 2011. Derrick opened it up, praying for the wedding, the future, the year ahead, and thanking God for His blessings. I talked to God, asking for blessings on our relationship, our jobs, our friends, and our families in 2011. Asking to be used in a big way in the coming year, to make a difference in the world. I love standing on the edge of a New Year - and knowing that God is already there!

 Then...at 11:30 I gave Derrick a premature goodnight kiss and strolled down the hall to my room, falling asleep in the moments before the air erupted in celebration, fireworks, and kisses. 2011 had a silent beginning to me. Relaxation and sleep = boring success!

Happy New Year! Isn't it beautiful? The air of possibilities and curiousity of the unknown...

2 comments:

  1. LOL... that is OK. New Years are not always full of partying. I think it is quite special that you took the time to pray for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! :) I've loved the posts you've done on the wedding so far--how exciting!

    ReplyDelete