Monday, June 3, 2013

Just another manic Monday...

I normally love Mondays. Seriously. 

A new, fresh start. And a time to be productive. The beginning of another week that could hold so many memories and adventures.

Today tested me. 

I didn't sleep well last night. Dreaming of mice. 

Not cute. 
 
Then Derrick and I both woke up under the weather. 
Nothing specific. General blah-ness. 

For Derrick, things just continued to pile up. Unexpected expenses. Unexpected adult tasks. Unexpected bills and charges on things that we hadn't dropped the ball on. 


Then, at 4:45, I head to my car. I would surprise Derrick with a Coke, no ice, from McDonalds and pick up a few groceries that we needed. 

I turn the key in my car...and nothing happened. Dead. Yep, in all of the chaos, I had left my lights on. 

Feeling incredibly guilty, I text to my sweet husband who had just told me I was awesome:
"Not so awesome. Car battery's dead. My fault."


And just like that, he's on his way to fix it. I'm in my office now, answering student emails, writing, waiting. And the rain has subsided. The sun is shining.

In the end, it's turned out to be a productive Monday. Just like I like it.


But the thing that I love is that we never once blamed each other. We got frustrated at situations, sure, but not at one another. And when we both made stupid little mistakes (which we both did today), we didn't attack the other one. 

Your spouse, your loved ones, your friends are going to make mistakes. They're human. They have those days. Those moments. But on those days, in those moments - they are fully aware that they messed up. They don't need you to tell them. They need you to love them. Be their helper (in my case, helpmate). Be their friend. Be their safe place.



No comments:

Post a Comment