Monday, June 10, 2013

If women could agree on one thing...

Okay, there are many things I wish we all agreed on as women. But I know it's not going to happen. So if there were one thing I wish that we could all get on the same page about this summer it would be this...

Let's agree to quit wearing bikinis. 
Yep. That's it. 

I'm just going to be completely blunt about why:

1. You can't tell me that the constant fear of your butt hanging out or your top popping out is comfortable.

2. When I see you in a bikini, I'm either thinking about how much better you look than I would (so yay for winning but fail on sisterly love and respect) or I'm thinking how much better I would look in a bikini than you do. Truth. 

3. When my husband sees you in a bikini, he's either thinking about how good you look (and there are enough temptations in this world - I do NOT need you becoming another one) or he's thinking about how much better I look. But, knowing my husband, he's likely thinking you need to put some more clothes on. 

4. My underwear and bra cover more than most bikinis. How would you feel if I showed up in front of your loved ones, boyfriend/husband/future husband, kids wearing my panties? 

 5. Trust me, covering up your fat is much more attractive. 

6. If you are a Christian, it should be your heart to want to build up other believers and not to tear them down (women) or make them stumble (men). Do you really want to make it harder for your brother in Christ to keep his thoughts pure?
("But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.")

7. If you are a Jesus-follower, then you represent Him as a daughter of our Creator. If you're a wife, then you represent your husband as well. As a Christian woman and Derrick's wife, I want to be seen as beautiful and classy...but more than that, as warm, friendly, kind and caring. I do want to look nice, put together and pretty, but I don't want to be a stumbling block or be immodestly inappropriate. I hope you feel the same. 

 "Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments; but rather by means of good works, as befits women making a claim to godliness." 
1 Timothy 2:9-10

P.S. Parents with preteen and teenage daughters - I would urge you to reconsider allowing them to wear bikinis. Teenage boys struggle with their sexual desires and don't need their classmates and friends walking around almost naked. Plus, we need to teach our daughters modesty and respect at a young age. Plus, there are creepy, sick perverts out there...truth. 

So yay for beautiful, classy one pieces and sassy tankinis that can make you feel appropriately confident and beautiful:










5 comments:

  1. Amen and amen, Renee! I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These points are so good! I laughed out loud at #2 - it's SO true. Sad that our minds are like that, but true.

    A lot of one pieces/tankinis these days are pretty revealing too - so it's helpful to ask my husband what he thinks about specific suits. Or if someone isn't married they could ask their dad/mom/trusted older woman.

    You were honestly a huge factor in my desire to stop wearing bikinis, so thank you for that! Remember when I asked you where you got your suit? You doing that was an inspiration to me, and I'm thankful for God using you in that way!

    Love you LOTS and I love your heart for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee!
    I literally just wrote a blog about this. I think it's something though that we as women don't understand until after we are married. At least, that was true for me. But, maybe if enough of us gals get together and start to protect our husbands/brothers/brother-in-laws/cousins the young ones may realize earlier the importance of doing so too! What an interesting/beautiful time in life...newly weds :) Miss you (and everyone else too)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the amazing response! It is something that we truly don't understand until we get older and have a man in our lives that we love, respect and want to protect. You ladies are all such an inspiration to me, personally - as beautiful women in Christ and amazing Christian wives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello-I just stumbled on your blog link through one of The Christian Wife Life's posts! This is a great post you wrote-couldn't have said it better myself. It was incredibly refreshing to know I am not alone and there is other women out there with the same beliefs on bikinis. I am so in on giving up bikinis for good! I just bought my first two tankinis a couple months ago and never looking back!

    ReplyDelete