Friday, December 21, 2012

The End of the World as I Know it....

I think that the end of the world - and heaven - have been on people's minds a lot recently. The world as we know it will end. But it won't be because Mayans say so. It won't be because Hollywood says so. It won't be because zombies  say so. It will be because God says so. One day, in the blink of an eye, in barely a moment, like a thief in the night, Jesus Christ will take His family up to heaven...

I wish heaven had a website.

Before I go on any trip, I research it. If you know me, you know what I mean. I look at pictures of where we're going and read comments. I look up the town and what there is to do. I look up the theme park and all the rides and shows. I make a list of what I want to do while there. I look up the hotel - and look at the rooms, the lobby, the pool, the restaurants, etc. I make sure to look at a list of where and what there is to eat, how expensive it is, the menus, and then I have in mind where I want to go and what works with our schedule.

At the end of it, even if I've never been to the place, I feel like I know exactly what to expect. I can now wrap my mind around the place and my time there. I get it. I am in control as soon as I get there.

And it is because heaven doesn't have a website that it sometimes scares me. I'm being honest with you. The transition from my reality on earth to the reality of heaven is a scary one to think about sometimes.

I know that once I get to heaven, once I have a hug from Jesus and see the glory and beauty and promise and peace and see my Papa's smile once again, then it will all be more than okay. It will be glory and inheritance and peace and good and God. But right now, my imperfect, small human mind can't grasp heaven.

For 25 years, my Mom has been my mom. She has taken care of me and worried about me and fed me and went shopping with me and loved me so much. For 25 years, my Dad has been my dad. He has worked for me and provided for me and protected me and asked me if I checked my oil and never hesitated to be proud of me and tell me so. And for over one amazing year, Derrick Green has been my husband. The man I get to live with and play video games with and sleep next to and wake up next to...

I don't know how my relationships will be with them in heaven. They will be different. They won't be Survivor nights and stolen kisses. And that scares me a little. Although I don't like the world, I like my world. I like what I know. I like sleeping next to Derrick Green, and I can't wrap my head around a perfect place where he's there but not there

I hate that it makes me a little anxious. But I think the mystery of heaven was God's plan. His Word gave us just enough detail, but not nearly enough detail. He wanted us to trust. To believe. To have faith. To be excited about HIM. And I think He likes the surprise. The moment that our imperfect, fragile, too-often-worried, tiny human minds crossover to His world. What a moment! What a beautiful surprise. What a glorious inheritance!

So the truth is that I can't wrap my mind around heaven - but I know that God is there and Jesus is waiting...and that is more than enough. That is everything.

The end of the world is coming one day - and we have to live life ready in each moment. Not ready for the apocalypse as the world fears. Not ready for mythical or hollywood characters to takeover. But ready to stand before the God of the universe, the King of kings, our Creator, Father, Author, and Friend. 

Therefore you also must be ready, 
for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment