Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Music, my life and my God!

This past Sunday our message was on music. 

Not against a particular type of music. 
Not for a particular type of music.
 But in awe of the way that music is naturally a part of us, how we worship, how we feel. And it's so true.

When a good song comes on - I can't help but move along with the beat. Sing along. 

When my favorite songs come on - the world stops for only a moment, and I am simply surrounded by the feeling.

When I am having a bad day, 
I turn up the music and drown out the bad.

When I need creative inspiration, I find it in music. 

When I want to feel God. Feel His majesty. 
Feel His love. Feel His tenderness. Feel His triumph...
I turn up the worship music and let myself feel His arms around me. 

Music takes me back to being five years old, unable to sleep. 
Back to living room duets with my brother.
 Back to the night of Homecoming and our Junior/Senior banquet.
Back to the streets of New York and feeling romance.
Back to the hours Derrick and I spent on instant messaging talking about our favorite songs...
and listening to his over and over to feel him with me. 
Back to our road trip to Ohio for a wedding.
Back to my wedding day. 

Music takes me back to the moment the angel spoke to Mary,
 the silent night Jesus was born, 
the darkness of the nails piercing His wrists,
 the beauty in His resurrection.

Music is emotion. Worship. Sweet sadness.
 Complete joy. Warm comfort. 
Romance. Tears. Stories. Understanding. Hope. Beauty.


"By day the Lord directs his love,  
at night his song is with me
 - a prayer to the God of my life." 
Psalm 42:8 

 Praise the LORD! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! Praise the LORD!
Psalm 150:1-6

Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. 
Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.
James 5:13

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, 
teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, 
singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
 Colossians 3:16


No comments:

Post a Comment