Monday, December 10, 2012

A wonderful weekend, the best day!


I love being married, because it means that I get to hang out with my best friend all the time.It's my favorite part of every day, every week...just hanging out with Derrick Green. 

This past weekend was a very good weekend. It started with our College of Arts & Sciences Christmas party on Friday night. I always enjoy celebrating the season with those that I'm blessed to work with.

Derrick and Ms. Elaine at the Christmas Party

When I got home that night, Derrick was already there. I heard the strums of his guitar in the office and followed the sound. Then we spent the next 30 minutes playing and singing and dancing along to the music. It was wonderful. 

Saturday was the 4th anniversary of the day that changed everything for us. My favorite day. The day that was so filled with magic and God-things and romance. The day that has its own soundtrack and changed our forever. 

To honor this day, I had planned a day-date for us. We started the morning with some video game racing - Derrick is MUCH better than me (but he's really sweet and tries to wreck everyone else so I can join him in the front). Then we headed to Buffalo Wild Wings, before going to Target to shop for each others stockings. Stocking stuffing shopping was interesting - and Derrick will wake up Christmas morning to a strange array of stocking gifts.

The next thing on the agenda was Wreck It Ralph (only the second movie we've seen in theaters this entire year). It was AWESOME! Probably our favorite animated movie. It made me laugh, it made me cry. I was very pleasantly surprised.

  
Ralph and Vanellope. Go see this movie. Really.
We ended the evening by going to Mr. Billy's church play and to dinner with the Green's.  Then we finished the night with a dance under the stars, and Derrick's customary December 8 present.

See, four years ago, - before we were dating or even talking about it - I found out that Derrick had never seen The Notebook. Finding this to be a tragedy, I gave him the movie and his favorite chocolates for Christmas on that December 8 night. Not exactly an appropriate gift at the time, but it worked. So this past Saturday he got Crazy,Stupid Love and chocolates. (I'm seeing a Ryan Gosling theme...)

 Derrick and me (along with Valerie and Amanda) on December 8, 2008.

Sunday was church all morning and then church shopping with one of my dearest friends! We had a wonderful time dreaming and planning for our church First Impressions ministry. (If you don't have a church home, you should definitely check out Relationship in Fuquay!)

Sunday afternoon we had photos with my family, and it was really nice to catch up with everyone...and then Derrick and I spent some wonderful time hanging out with some other friends and having a movie night in. 

Yay for weekends full of memory-making and best friends!

1 comment: