Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The end of an era...

I haven't really watched this season...but I am more than aware that tonight is the series finale of One Tree Hill.

Now, I'll be the first to say that it's probably time it ended. It's gone on long enough. Too far past the time we lost Lucas and Peyton. Too many new characters.

I'll also be the first to admit that I will probably cry when I watch the finale. Not because the show itself fills a huge void in my life. Not because the show itself was a brilliant art that shouldn't end. But because of all of the memories that are associated with one simple little show. 

I remember when Boy Meets World ended. And 7th Heaven. And Gilmore Girls. They all represented different times in my life. Different stages. Different ages. And this is no different. 

I still remember visiting Wilmington for the first time - and the magic of seeing where OTH was filmed. There's still that magic every time I go back.

My Mom and I used to always watch One Tree Hill together every Tuesday/Wednesday.

My Dad thought it was ridiculous...getting married in high school. I thought it was romantic. 

I was always Team Peyton. Except when Lucas was with Peyton, and then I thought he should be with Brooke. 

There was the day we were having coffee at Port City Java and saw Uncle Keith. I still feel excited thinking back to that moment. I can see every detail.

June 23 of 2007 (?) Whitney, Amanda and I had a One Tree Hill sleepover. I remember the date because Nathan was number 23. 

Touring the studio time and time and time and time again...

When Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush got married - I framed a picture of them. I thought they were brilliant together. And I was devastated 5 months later when they got divorced. 

One of my top ten days ever was the day I got my first and only ticket...and saw Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton at the Rivercourt. Jessica and I screamed and giggled all the way home.

My mother-in-law and I talked about One Tree Hill the first time that I met her.

And I can still remember how I felt watching each episode. Getting hopelessly caught up in the romance. Crying at the school shooting. Struggling when they struggled. Being shocked. Wishing Dan would finally die...and being sad when he did. 

So this is the end of another era. Which is pretty cool. I love the way certain things trigger our memories. But life is always changing. It's always time for a new memory. A new stage in life. A new opportunity.  


(P.S. I will not actually be watching OTH tonight - because I have life group at church. So don't ruin anything for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment