Friday, July 29, 2011

Fairytales

Tonight I was talking with one of my dearest friends, and she was sharing a love story of one of her close friends with me. A story that involved God prompting the girl to send a message to a guy she didn't really know that well, to simply pray for him and tell him she was doing so. A few months later, God willed her to travel to Bosnia - where this guy was serving as a missionary. Now, months later, they're planning a December wedding before they travel to South America to serve the Lord.

It's funny when you're little you are taught to believe in fairy tales...and then somewhere along the way the bitter world starts telling you that fairy tales don't exist. There aren't perfect guys with perfect words and a perfect white horse. And it's true. But there is a perfect God - and His love stories are so much better than Disney's (believe or not).



I've come to an amazing place in life - when I can look around and see that fairy tales, the fairy tales we learn about when we're 5, may not exist...but the fairy tales God writes are so much better:

I remember walking by a church downtown and having Whitney tell me about Aaron - this guy who worked there, who had graduated from our high school five years before us and gone to her church growing up. She joked about calling him to ask directions...and, when her mom or I would ask if she was interested in him, she would tell me that she could never like him because "he was weird". Soon they were in the same small group at her church. Before I knew it they were going out to celebrate her birthday, holding hands, falling in love, and getting married. He makes her happier than anyone ever has.

In 10th grade, Bethany switched out of a class to take Home Ec with me. There was a senior girl in there who Bethany quickly became friends with. This senior girl was friends with Jeremy, and one day Jeremy slipped Bethany a note - telling her that he thought a lot of her. Time passed and Bethany actually ended up going to Jr/Sr (prom) with one of Jeremy's friends. Nearly four years later, I walk into Chick-Fil-A and see Bethany eating lunch with Jeremy. They hadn't seen each other in years, but he had asked her to get together through facebook/AIM. And they slowly began to talk again and began dating. They're married now, and Jeremy doesn't even remember ever giving Bethany that note.

Jessica - who came to WCA in 10th grade - is now dating John, who left WCA in 7th grade. I knew them both through school...but I doubt they would have liked each other if they had known each other then. They knew a lot of the same people, but God ordained them to meet through church years later, and they are so great for each other. They both have a great passion for life and for the Lord.

Marcus and Victoria are two of my awesome student ambassadors at Campbell. She's from Philadelphia. He's from Brooklyn. It's a miracle they even knew about Campbell. They both chose to come to "The Creek" and both chose to major in Pre-Med. One day, during Orientation or sometime near the beginning of the school year, they were both at the pool...and Marcus decided talk to Victoria. Now, they're inseparable. They're best friends and partners. Planning to go to Campbell's future med school. And planning to get married.

Derrick and I grew up 10 minutes apart. Went to schools 10 minutes apart. Had family members who knew each other, went to school together...When we sat in a circle with a group of strangers our first time at Campbell and were asked to tell what we wanted to be when we graduated, I said that I wanted to be a wife. Little did I know that my husband was the stranger right beside me. Since day 1 at Campbell, I always felt like we would be a good fit. I always felt attracted to Derrick and interested in him. We had many classes together, many inside jokes together, but I was dating someone else. Slowly, we became great friends...and God's plan fell into place. I like our love story.

(Interested in a Bible love story? Read about the love story that began all love stories in Genesis 2 and check out the story of Isaac and Rebekah in Genesis 24)

There are so many other amazing love stories that I know about. Great details that only God could have ordained and couples that only God could have brought together. So, Daughter of the King, when it comes to fairy tales...

Believe. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts and a beautiful song. God definitely writes the best love stories. We just have to let Him lead.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's plans are crazy awesome. Why don't we ALWAYS trust Him?? I love your love story too, by the way, and can't wait to celebrate it with you this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete