Monday, July 22, 2013

Song of Psalms

At church last week, we were challenged to read through the Psalms in a month, which fell right after I had just finished 1 & 2 Samuel and fit in perfectly with my goal to read through the Old Testament in a year. God's timing is always perfect.

So I began delving deeper into the heart of David. The Bible app on my phone is awesome, because I can listen to apx. 6 chapters on my way to work. Then Derrick and I listen together, take notes and talk through. It's been an amazing lesson for me. 

So far, after 38 chapters, I've learned that David is great at two things that I'm not so great at: being honest with God and praising God passionately. 

Being honest with God. 
So many times I hide my struggles and feelings to the point that I hardly even know them myself. I package them nicely, ignore them, see no point in sharing b/c God already knows or figure God has better things to do than to listen to me complain. 
But none of that stopped David. When he was angry, he was angry to God. Even when he was angry with God. When he felt far from God, he said so - and begged God to draw near. When he wished bad upon someone, he admitted it. When he felt lost or lonely, he poured his heart out. He knew God knew, and He knew God cared - so he said so. 

Praising God passionately. 
I think David is the best praiser in history. No matter what his psalm, his prayer, his poem was about - no matter what depths of despair he was in - he always brought it back to praise. He always acknowledged God as God, Creator, Sustainer, Avenger, Refuge, Judge, Father, King. He danced for God, sang for God, shouted for God - no matter what other people (even his wife) had to say about it. 

So many times, my prayers are "God bless so and so", "God heal...", "God use...", "God show...". And those are great. We should ask God to move. And believe He'll do big things. 

But sometimes, we should just bask in the praise of how awesome God is. Tell Him all the things You love about Him. 
Adore Him. Acknowledge Him.
 And sometimes we should just share our heart - vulnerable and real.
 He already knows, so don't be afraid to say so.


No comments:

Post a Comment