Monday, March 11, 2013

Lost in the woods

Saturday I had a day at home.

Which equaled a lot of cleaning. 

And some racing video games. In which I always cause Derrick and my team to be in last place. But he always patiently instructs me how to do better. He's a good teammate and crew chief. 

After that, we decided to go for a walk in the woods. A "hike". I'm all for when working out doesn't feel like working out. It's more of an adventure. 


So we hike a good 15 minutes. Trees all around us, little streams in our path. I was loving it. 
I kept telling him how awesome it was. It's the little things in life, people.

Then we decide to take a short cut that looks like it might lead us out into the field where we started. I was wiling to try anything.
Wrong. It led us out into a totally different field. 
Oh no, where do we go from here?

Back into the woods. Derrick suggests we can just cut through that way (pointing ahead) and meet back up with our original path. I'm unsure but trust him. I always trust him. 

Another 10 minutes of moving limbs, scaling broken trees, maneuvering over streams...we're about to give up and turn around. But I trust him, and I say that we wouldn't want to give up and the path be right up there...


Right up there it was. Back on the path. A little tired, but more excited. Trekking back up the hill - so happy to see the clearing where my little car was parked. 

The next day, in addition to a random stomach virus I picked up sometime this weekend, my legs hurt badly. But it was worth it. Totally worth it. 

It felt like a scene from a Christian marriage movie - where they throw the couple into the woods and make them find their way out. That's what life is. Navigating it together. Holding hands. Helping each other over the  broken limbs and streams. 

Life is an adventure that requires a positive spirit and trust - come what may. 


No comments:

Post a Comment