Tuesday, July 10, 2012

They Ruined Romance

I watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette. It's the highlight of my Monday. I love the human dynamics of it. 

But I am still cynical about it. It's obvious to me why the majority of the couples don't last. 

Climbing up a building to discover a candle lit feast. Flying to Las Vegas to go shopping and have a private concert. Dancing on a stage while your favorite artist sings just for you. Flying to four countries in two weeks. Playing hide and seek in a 14th century castle. These things are romantic. But they aren't real. 

It's not the out-of-this-world moments that build a relationship. It's the day-to-day moments that lay a foundation. And it's the day-to-day moments that you have to live with.

I wish they'd have a Bachelor/Bachelorette of completely real things. Grocery shopping. Fast food. Going to the movies. Watching a marathon on the couch. Real life. Would that be boring?

I think that hollywood has done its best to ruin romance. They make it about big romantic gestures. Or about sex. But I hope that we can break down those messages and find the romance all around us.

The most romantic moments are those that sneak up on you. Whisper to you. Erupt in laughter. The moments unplanned. Not hoped for. 

Last night, after the Bachelorette was over, I had a few whispers of romance to surprise me. And if I only appreciated big romantic gestures, I would have missed them. 

The laughter of joking around with my husband.

Being tickled until I couldn't breath. 

Sneaking into his office and stealing kisses.

Doing a happy dance full of laughter after I beasted the racing video game and got 2nd place. (This is a big deal. I am notorious for hitting the wall again...and again...and again). Derrick always wins. He's very smooth. 

Watching How I Met Your Mother - and relating to Lily and Marshall.

Being thankful for my protector husband in bed next to me during the night thunderstorm.

Opening my eyes as lightning lit up the room - only to see my husband leaning over me with his best scary face. "I'm doing lightning faces." He smiled and proceeded to do a new face with each one of God''s fireworks. (Any doubts of whether or not he'll be a good father were demolished as he let me know that he patented "lightning faces").

So my (marriage, relationship, life) advice to all you out there today...look for the romance and beauty in the simplicity. Enjoy the whispers of moments. Don't overlook the small things while waiting for the big ones. Take time to appreciate where you are today. Who you're with today. Every moment today.

No comments:

Post a Comment