Monday, July 16, 2012

The same Father...

I am blessed. I never doubt that. But this weekend I was reminded of a blessing that I hope to never forget. A blessing I would wish upon everyone.

The blessing of Christian friends. 

There's an awesome connection with Christians. When those who truly love the Lord come together. When you meet someone who gets it.  Who has been redeemed. Who has a relationship with the Author of life. Who understands that our purpose is bigger than just us. Who love and is in love with their Savior.

I think it's because we have the same Father. We're brothers and sisters in Him. We understand a different purpose. We're redeemed and called by Him. And - another really awesome thing - we'll get to be friends forever (and not in the 5th grade bff kinda way). No matter where this life takes us, we will meet again.

I feel this connection with my group of high school friends. Life has taken us down many different paths, but we are always joined by prayer. Purpose. Memories. A deep love for each other. We see God's hand in our love stories. We pray for patience through Him as we struggle to find jobs. We cry together but know that this isn't the end when we suffer loss. And we rejoice when miracles happen.

I felt this a few years ago when I was meeting a whole new group of people to celebrate a friends wedding....and, despite not knowing them, I felt at home when we joined together to pray blessings on her upcoming marriage.

I feel this every time I get together with my church family...To pray. To hang out. To worship. To laugh and share. No matter what we're talking about - God and His purpose and His provision naturally fits into the conversation. We know there will be struggle. There will be tears. There will be pain. We we know He works all things together for good for those who love Him.

I feel this when Derrick and I have dinner or go boating or meet up after months with our best friends. There's an understanding of church family, an understanding of ministering to others, an understanding of the frustrations and freedom and blessings and God-things that come from being a child of His. We have fun together and make memories together and have crazy conversations together - but never feel pressure to conform to the world. Just freedom to live our lives. It's more than friendship. It's family.

All of this leaves me in awe. I didn't have a steady church family growing up. And my extended family wasn't the "let's get together to pray about this" kinda family (not like Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family).... I pray for them constantly, because I want them to know this joy. I want them to be a part of my bigger family. My forever family.

I'd dare say this is one of the reasons God ordained the church. Yes, it's a place of worship. Of dedication. Of growth. Of service. But it's also a place of family. Of comfort. Of support. He wanted His children to lean on each other, love each other, pray for each other...work together and play together. 

What a blessing it is to know Him! And share Him!

But he replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” 
Matthew 12:48-50

Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, 
and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Hebrews 10:25

No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, 
God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
 1 John 4:12

So we, though many, are one body in Christ, 
and individually members one of another.
Romans 12: 5

If you don't know Him as your Savior and Father, I invite you to talk to Him today. Tell Him that you realize you're a sinner, but you also realize that He sent His Son to save and redeem You. Feel His freedom and start living for Him today!

Maybe you are a child of God's, but you don't know the blessings of being an active member of a church family. I would encourage you to visit some churches and find the one that is right for you. I would love for you to visit my church - Relationship Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment