Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pray big.

I realize I write about my relationship with God a lot. And I have to take a moment to say that yes, I write about it a lot. It's important to me. And it's important to me that I do my best to let Him speak through me to others. It's my voice of ministry.

But I want you to know that I'm not a great Christian. Sometimes I question Him. I debate with Him. I am confused by Him. I don't know Him like I should. I don't feel Him like I should. I don't read His Word like I should.

And I don't talk to Him like I should. 

I don't pray like I need to. And when I do I get distracted. Or feel like I'm not going deep enough. Praying specifically enough. Praying hard enough. Not putting enough heart into it. Not believing enough, trusting enough, caring enough.

At church this month we're reading The Circle Maker, and our sermon series is on the power of prayer. Encouraging us to pray bigger. Pray longer. Pray harder.

Knowing that I fall short in this area and feeling the need for Derrick and I to both focus, pray big, and connect spiritually, I came up with a weekly prayer calendar for the next 28 days. Just a few days in, and it has already been such a blessing. Just hanging out with God together, talking to Him together, verbalizing our thanks, our praises, our fears, and dreams together...

I encourage all of you to set aside a time to pray specifically - alone, with a friend, with your spouse, with a family member. Pray big. He's bigger.

 

I've included our weekly prayer calendar for inspiration. Feel free to steal the idea! 

Sunday 
 Pray for work, our jobs, our careers, and the week ahead

Monday 
 Pray for our marriage, our home, our family

Tuesday 
Pray for the Jones'/Greens' Family
Wednesday 
Pray for unsaved family and friends, for spiritual growth
Thursday 
Pray for the Johnson Family

Friday 
 Pray for our friends

Saturday 
 Pray for Relationship Church, for church growth, for our church family, for the sermon the next day

No comments:

Post a Comment