Thursday, November 18, 2010

On my mind today...

Thankful and Blessed
                Selfish and Vain

Derrick and I were talking about what we wanted for Christmas the other night on the phone. I paused and forced myself to glance at the situation - which I often do to put my life in perspective. There I was...in my bed. In my room. On my phone. With my boyfriend. With my television on. My computer to the left of me. A bottle of water and cup of sweet tea to the right of me. A closet full of clothes. How dare I desire anything more than what I already had? There are children out there who have never experienced any of those things I just mentioned. People who can't even imagine such blessings. How thankful and appreciative I must be that God has blessed me so abundantly. And I deserve none of it.
Yet, as thankful as I truly am, I still want things. I would like new boots and a new coat. New CDs, new books. Some jewelry. Work clothes. Gift cards. Art. I would like to be a wife, have a home, buy my own Christmas decorations.
There is the constant pull in my heart between complete awe and gratitude - and selfish desire. I never forget how blessed I truly am - but I don't think I ever really understand it either.

                                                                Kids Today

This is a random post, obviously. But they do tie together (in a very Renee way, I'm sure). My above thoughts caused me to realize how blessed and selfish we are as a society. And here we go...

Sometimes I think of the future, and I worry about my future children. Last night, radio surfing, I stopped on a song that would probably be classified as hip-hop. The song was full of suggestive lyrics. Maybe suggestive is putting it softly. Just plain crude. In addition, the writer of the song seemed to lack the ability to understand grammar altogether. In today's society it is evidently accepted to replace sounds and slang for words and explanations. I can't even stand the shorthand people use to text. I like to spell my words out. And use punctuation. (I will admit, as a side note, I do jam out to some hip-hop every once in a while. But I thank God I have discernment and understanding.)

Also, some kids today seem to think they have a right to expect all the "nicest" things. Why does it matter if it's brand name? And who in the world can honestly justify spending over $100 on a purse- when you can get one for $20 at Target? It makes NO sense to me. No wonder the majority of Americans are in debt. I'm a knock-off, not-name-brand, bought-it-on-sale kinda girl. And I'm doing just fine. Thank you, Mom.

I'm not blaming the youth of today. I'm saying that we need to be there for them. Encourage them. Stop setting a bad example. Stop letting them get away with things. And pray for them - the pressures of today are great. The insecurities and temptations are screaming from every direction. And the vowels seem to be dropping like flies.

Thank you for your patience with my rantings of today. Thank you for your place in my life. Honestly, thank you.


Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, [therewith] to be content. Philippians 4:11

2 comments:

  1. You have spoken my language today!! Great thoughts... I have had them so many times myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the vowels seem to be dropping like flies" hahahah. oh renee. you are so right. i love your rantings & want more of them :)

    ReplyDelete