Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Freedom and Joy!

I'm back. It's been a crazy week, and I've been struggling for inspiration and time.

This past weekend was full of wonderful events and some great moments of fellowship.Friday night we had our Costume Cookout; something that I had been excited about since it's conception at the beginning of the month. In preparation to this event, I had to drive the Ford truck for 3 days (pumpkin shopping). This may have resulted in my demise.
I realized Saturday morning - in the cold at 7:15 a.m. - that I can't find the keys to my RAV4. I am desperate to drive it again. I'm too little for the truck. No keys - so...Day 4 of driving the truck. At this point, the debris from the night before is resting chaotically in my vehicle, the truck, and my office. Plus, I have the supplies for 2 events that I was working on Saturday. Skip ahead to Monday morning. I get to work (driving my RAV4 with my parent's set of keys). No office key. Thank God for the maintenance staff. At this point, finally in my office, I realize that I had left my Visitation Day stuff in another building on Saturday. Seriously?

Now, I must state that I'm not complaining about these events. But I do, at this point, feel like I'm losing my mind. And I hate that. I pride myself in being organized, in control, on top of things. Two sets of keys and a bag of Visitation Day supplies in one weekend. How would you feel at this point?

It's annoying, yes. It's driving me a little crazy - feeling disorganized and not responsible. But I begin to laugh at the situation. There is no reason to be angry. No reason to let it ruin the day. I must reassess. Organize what I can. Grasp patience. And laugh.

Last week I found myself lost in a few of my favorite books of the Bible: Galatians, Ephesians, and Philippians. What a blessing! And it is because of the inspiration of God - exemplified in these books - that I can laugh when I'm losing it.

I am free!

I don't answer to men, and I am not here for the primary purpose of pleasing others (Gal. 1:10). This is a big deal to me - because I am a people-pleaser. I must step back - in the moments when I want to be in control of every situation - and realize that God is in control. I live for Christ, because He died for me (Gal. 2:20).

We have freedom from the law. Freedom to live with a beautiful relationship with God. Freedom to be a child of God! (Gal. 3: 25-26). We are under the Spirit - not under the law. What a breath of fresh air!

The responsiblity is now to stay away from sin and lust of the flesh because we want to, we desire to - not because we have to. Who would want to hurt their Father, their Savior, their Best Friend?

Because of this freedom, I can have love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, and faith - even when I feel less than myself. As children of God, we can feel an unexplainable peace - even when things (bigger things that lost keys) seem to be falling apart around us.

Undeserved

Imagine being betrayed, lied to, cheated on...or even just ignored. Now, imagine forgiving that person - completely. Not easy is it? Now, flip the situation and imagine the feeling of being forgiven, though you don't deserve it. We get that redemption, forgiveness and grace (Eph. 1:7)! More than that, it is a gift. Nothing you can earn (Eph. 2:8-9). All you have to do is believe in Christ and desire a relationship with Him.

"That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth and length and depth and height; And to know the love of Christ which passeth knowledge, that ye may be filled with the fullness of God. Now unto Him that is able to do excedding abundantly above all that we ask or think...unto Him be the glory..."

Picture of Marriage - Ephesians also gives us great insight on relationships: husbands and wives in 5:22-33, children in 6: 1-4. I must pause for a minute to briefly say that God instructs women to respect their husband, submitting to them...BUT He also instructs men to love their wives, as Christ loved the church. What a beautiful relationship.

Joy!
I thank my God upon every remembrance of you!

Paul is in jail. Not good conditions. Much worse than missing keys or sleepy mornings. Jail could easily become a place of negativity, no hope, no peace. But not for Paul. He realizes what God has done for him - and he wants to make it known. "At the name of Jesus every knee should bow...And every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!" Paul is able to focus on what really matters (Phil. 3:8) and have joy inspite of his circumstances. This is not an easy thing. But it's an important one.

How many times do we focus on the little things that don't matter? We focus on what's behind us or what we can't change. Philippians encourages us to focus on that which is ahead, that which matters (Phil. 3:13-14)

Chapter 4 is one of my favorite chapters - as it is rich with inspiration and encouragement. Instead of giving you my thoughts, I'll give you God's Word. And leave you with some of my favorite verses:

"Be careful for nothing (don't worry about anything); but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ..." (4:6-7)

"...Finally,brethren, whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue and praise, think on these things." (4: 8)

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." (4:11)

"I can do all things through Christ which strenghteneth me!" (4:13)


I'm not saying that I have it all figured out. The reason I rely so much on these scriptures to encourage me is because I don't have it figured out. My life is much easier than Paul's, and I still struggle to find strength and joy. But it's there for us. So I hope this blog gave you a little encouragement for today. It's been what God has been telling me recently, and I wanted to share it with you.

1 comment:

  1. Good that you are using God's Word to encourage and strengthen you. Only HE can do that!! :) Thank you for sharing what the Lord has laid on your heart.

    ReplyDelete