Tuesday, November 9, 2010

i believe in God.

i believe in God. i believe He is the Creator. Author. Director. Sustainer. Provider. Father. Comforter. and Friend. i believe in Jesus Christ. i believe Jesus was a great man. but Jesus is also my Savior. He was sent from His seat in heaven to live on a sinful earth and to die for the same people who persecute Him, ignore Him, laugh at Him. He died for me. for you. i believe in a Holy Spirit that comforts me. guides me. and a heaven that awaits me - where Jesus will welcome me with a huge hug. the best hug ever.

"in the beginning God..."

On a recent road trip, the topic of religion came up. After an hour of bouncing around our beliefs and ideas - I was convicted to go home and break down why I believe what I believe. I narrowed it down to six things, but I wanted to write a hundred more (my blessings, my Derrick, music, my friendships, my story and how things came to be - all evidence of God). For today, here are six reason I believe in God. And I want to share them with you.

1. Logic and Faith - I'm going to be blunt: Evolution makes no sense to me. Okay, so we evolved from monkeys (or whatever)? Then why are there people walking the earth and monkeys walking the earth - but no in between? Shouldn't something be evolving? And how did we get here? A small little tadpole creature crawled out of the muck and began to become what we are today? Where did the little creature come from? Where did the universe come from? The earth? A big bang? How did something come from nothing? I have many of the same questions about your evolution that you have about my God. I'm not saying nothing ever evolves (within context). I'm just saying it's not how the world got here.

Yes, the fact that there is a Infinite Source who has always been here and will always be is a little overwhelming. Any belief takes faith - but I think it makes more sense that there was one Everlasting Being who created everything else. He took time to make everything how it should be (see point 2).

More than that, the Bible represents so much historical truth. The people, the lives, the stories, the places, and events in the Bible represent proven truth.

2. Creation - I look outside and see trees waving in the wind. Grass. Water. Sky. But, above all that, I see people. How can you look at the world and not have a small bit of belief in an Artist who did it all? My body is put together in the perfect way to help me function day to day. I look at the sameness of humans and it's evident that there is a Creator. I look at the uniqueness of humans and it's evident that there is a Creator. Each person has passions and talents and gifts. We like different foods and appreciate different music. God did that.

And, of course I must mention this, He writes and creates our love stories. How amazing is it that any two people find each other out of all of the other people in the world and find a future with each other? I've heard some awesome love stories - stories that I believe God enjoys penning.

3. Comfort and Peace -I know God, because I feel Him in my life. When I'm stressed, I can call out to Him and I feel His comfort. When I am burdened, I find rest in Him. More than that, I have an inner peace and joy that can't be shaken by circumstances or reason. It's a peace and joy that comes through being a child of the Father. I have comfort in knowing that whatever happens in my life happened for a reason. God has the master plan - and He holds and blesses my future. All things work together for good for those who trust in Him!

4. Purpose - So many people live their life wondering what their purpose is. It's so sad the way they search for meaning. I've found it. I'm hardly worthy on my own - and probably would struggle to find purpose too - if I didn't have a God who believes in me and gives me a purpose.

First of all, I am here to represent my God. To tell other's about Him and share His love. Secondly, He gives me purpose every day as an admissions coordinator.a girlfriend. a daughter. a friend. a granddaughter. an encourager. a listener. a writer. a campbell alumni. All of these facets of who I am create my purpose. Some people save others. Some teach others. Some heal others. Some protect others. Some provide music, art, entertainment for others. Some care for others. Some inform others. I (try to) encourage others.

5. Friendship - Jesus is my Best Friend. i love talking to Him. Crying to Him. Being selfish to Him. Confiding in Him. And getting to know Him. And He's always there! I can talk to Him in the middle of the night without worrying about waking Him up. I can talk to Him as I drive or take a bath or tan or in the silence of my room. It's a real friendship. It's a beautiful friendship.

6. Salvation - i am a sinner in need of a Savior. i can't save myself, but there is Someone who is perfect and strong...who was willing to die and live again to save me. I have salvation in my belief and my relationship. I have trust and faith. It's not a salvation earned through my works, but it's a free gift based on my belief.

So, what if I'm wrong (I have no doubts...but for all you skeptics...)? What if my faith has been misplaced all this time? Well, I lived my life with moral values (given by the bible) and loved others.

But what if I'm right...


And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2: 8-11

1 comment: