Thursday, November 4, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like...my favorite time of year!

I love people. Each person has fears. Dreams. Friends. Family. A Story. Desires. Wishes. Wants. They laugh at things, cry at things, feel things, regret things, and like getting things. They want to feel special, feel loved, feel supported. They want to be known, be heard, be understood.

I love studying people. Learning people. Watching people. Understanding people. Motivating people. Uplifting people. Encouraging people. And making them feel special.

I love cool weather. Scarves. Jackets. Boots. Jack Frost nipped noses. White Christmas lights and the smell of snow. Food and family. Iceskating (or the idea of it). Fire places. Hot Chocolate. Christmas movies. Christmas music. Christmas spirit.


I love buying Christmas presents! I love that there is a season where I can think of each person that has impacted my life and find a way to make them feel special. I love that you can make wishes come true, make laughter fill the room, bring back memories of childhood, fill hearts with music, and show someone how much you care - all in the bow-tied wrapping of a Christmas present.

I have already began the thought process that goes into each gift, each person. Trying to think of unique gifts that could only be appreciated by the individual receiving them. I wish that I could dedicate all of my time to this quest, but I am blessed to have a job where I can dedicate the majority of my time to encouraging and noticing people.

My mother and I always go to the beach the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving - and Christmas shop. We aren't the crazy shoppers that get out at 5 a.m. - but it's our time to laugh, talk, and enjoy the sights and sounds, the excitement and energy that goes along with Christmas shopping. These two days are hands down one of my favorite times of the year.

We get out around 7 a.m., SheDaisy's Christmas Cd blaring, lists in hand and money in the pocket, and begin looking for sales and picking out presents that would make someone smile. I always have a list. I always want to buy way more than is on the list. I see a movie for $2 that Derrick would like - get it. I see a shirt that would look good on him - get it. I see something my dad mentioned 6 months ago that he would want - get it. And, of course, I want to buy EVERYTHING from Bath and Body Works. We probably spend the most time being seduced by the smells and glitz of B&BW. (If I had a large budget - I could really go crazy ;).

Then, after a day full of shopping and delicious food (of course), we find warmth in the beach house. We spread all of our presents out on the large living room floor - put on Christmas music or a Christmas movie - and wrap presents. I love this. I love standing back surveying all the goods...picking the wrapping paper, making bows...The exciting, peaceful, perfect feeling that surrounds everything - as the music fills the air, mom and I laugh, and I foresee everyone opening each present I picked for them.
What a beautiful time of year. Celebrating Jesus' birth and His gift to us. Making other's feel special through gifts to them.

"And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures,
they presented unto him gifts;
 gold, and frankincense, and myrrh."
Matthew 2:11

1 comment:

  1. Christmas is a wonderful time of year. I will be the first to say, though, that I will just live vicariously through you as I am not a shopper. lol :) The older I get the more I realize I am just not so good at it. Enjoy those precious memories with your Mom. There is nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete