Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Drops of Jupiter

“She wants to be an astronaut.” And that is why I love Derrick, and he constantly makes me smile.

Read on.

Music. It’s a passion of mine, although I’m not musically talented myself. Music has a way of changing your outlook, setting the mood, telling a story, conveying an emotion, and putting into words a feeling you can’t make sense of. To me, good music is one of those things that gives me a glimpse of heaven.

If you ask me what my favorite song is, the answer will be “Don’t Take The Girl” by Tim McGraw. There is something about that song that makes my world stop, and it always will. My parents say that I got scared the first time I heard the song. I listened to the radio to go to sleep and went to their room, saying “I don’t like that song. The one about taking the girl.” They didn’t know what song I was talking about – but now it’s my “make the world perfect for a moment” song. 

That doesn’t mean it would make my list of Top Songs – because it wouldn’t. That lists includes a myriad of songs that make everyone stop what they’re doing and turn up the radio (“Sweet Home Alabama” – you know it’s true!). There are so many songs from a variety of different genres that make my world a little better.

The first song that ever reminded me of Derrick is Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight” . It was the first song I remember talking to him about, months before we started dating, when he stated that he could play it on the guitar. When Derrick and I first began talking almost 2 years ago, we would spend hours talking about music. He would tell me songs that reminded him of me, and I would let a smile rest on my lips as the sound of his feelings filled my room (Check out “Avalanche” by David Cook and “Gotta Be Somebody” by Nickelback).

Last week, when he was gone, “Let’s Give Them Something to Talk About” came on the radio. This classic Bonnie Raitt song reminds me of when Derrick and I first became interested in each other. So I opened up an email and included a link to the song for Derrick, along with a link to “Avalanche” and “Gotta Be Somebody”. He could have a little piece of me in Asheville – thanks to music.

Derrick and I listen to music all the time, all kinds, having crazy conversations, jamming out, and dancing around.   I love it when Derrick sings : )

Now, after expounding too much on music (although I could honestly talk about it for hours and will probably post about it again), I will get to the point of this blog.

A few weeks ago, Derrick decided that country music was very simple. To the point. There was nothing deep about it. While this is a fairly proven point, I secretly made it my mission to find deep country songs – because country music is a fairly passionate love interest of mine. Derrick, on the other hand, decided he would replace the Garth Brooks, Trace Adkins, James Otto CDs (and Celine Dion – which is the only one that Jessie, Derrick and I can all agree on, in general) with something a little deeper: Train.


This brings us to the conversation alluded to at the beginning of this post. “Drops of Jupiter” is playing, and I’m analyzing every word (AP English was one of my favorite classes in high school). Finally, I feel confident in my assessment.

                “It’s really not hard to figure out what this song means.” I state, somewhat proudly.

                “Yeah, I know.” Derrick too seems confident, never cracking a smile. “She likes women.”

                I give him that look. He’s crazy, but he makes me smile. Then I continue… with my serious thoughts.

                “It’s about a girl who wanted to experience the world. She wanted to travel, to find herself. She didn’t want to be stuck in one place. So now, after seeing the world, she finds herself back at home, back with this guy. He’s worried that he’s not cultured enough, experienced enough for her. She comes back home to him, to the smalltown and average life…but she still has ‘drops of Jupiter’ in her hair, proof of all she’s experienced.” (not an exact quote)
         
     I lean back in my seat, wishing I had worded in more eloquently but, in general, happy. Derrick pauses a moment, and then simply states:
                
“Right. She wanted to be an astronaut.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *
The soundtrack of this blog: Don’t take the girl – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-TXBniRz1g, Wonderful Tonight – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSzL2leaFM&ob=av3n, Gotta Be Somebody – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF0zjO76Cig, Something To Talk About – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ58TVYNFro&ob=av2e, Drops of Jupiter – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xf-Lesrkuc&ob=av3e. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment