Sunday, August 4, 2013

What a Weekend!

Derrick and I had a whirlwind weekend - 
which was much needed to give me some perspective.
First of all, I don't share my weekend activities because I think I'm so important that you should care what I do every second of every day. I share because how we spend our time shows our heart. And also because Derrick and my life is often summed up with the words "busy" and "blessed". Mostly blessed... okay, and a lot of busy.

I'm sitting here in between two loads of laundry, 
reflecting on another fantastically full weekend.

Friday
Friday night we went out to eat with all of the adults in our small group from church. This group of people quickly welcomed Derrick and me into their group a few months ago, and we've been growing closer and sharing our hearts every since. 

It was First Friday in Downtown, and the weather was wonderful. We had a reservation at Sitti. At first, when we googled the menu, Derrick and I were at a lose for what we would eat at a Lebanese restaurant. It seemed so foreign and weird...but we embraced it when we arrived and had a delicious cultural experience. More than the food, though, the conversation was great.

Saturday
We woke up on Saturday morning, and after an-almost breakdown moment by me, we were off to Charlotte for a day of fun and fellowship. 

We met John and Jessica for lunch. It was the first time the four of us had been together since their wedding, and it was so great to catch up with them. I had forgotten how easy the conversation flows and how well we all connect with each other.

Then it was off to see Carrie's play. She had the lead role in Little Women, and I knew I wanted to be there to celebrate. Carrie's so great about always coming home for all of our special activities, and it was exciting to get to be there for her. She did an aaaaamazing job of bringing the character of Jo to life. I was definitely impressed. 

Derrick and I then made our way across town to Elevation Church's main campus. We often watch Steven Furtick's sermons on the weekends, but this was our first time visiting. One word to describe the experience would be overwhelming. The music was loud, the people were friendly (except for one woman, but we'll forgive her), the crowd was electric and the sermon was convicting. Plus, we got free t-shirts :) 

One of Derrick's coworkers and his wife were also in Charlotte for the weekend, celebrating their anniversary - so we met up with them at church and headed to dinner afterwards. It was my first time really connecting with church people outside of our small group, so it was a time of great fellowship and food. 

Then the phone GPS took us through back roads - horror movie settings - and I was so happy to crawl into our comfortable bed when we got home.

Sunday
This morning Derrick had to shoot some footage for a video at the first service at Hope. After I dropped him off, I headed to Target. 

With life being so busy, I was falling behind on my homemaker duties. My sweet husband was running low on tooth paste, socks, shampoo...and our home had no groceries or toilet paper. Thank goodness for a quiet hour in Target on Sunday morning to re-stock the house. 

The 11:15 sermon at Hope was great. A breakdown of Psalm 23. God must be trying to teach me a lesson about David, because all of my personal bible study and church sermons have been breaking down his life and it's application. I'm starting to realize that David understood God so much better than I do.

After church, Derrick and I finished getting groceries and then headed home. I was more than happy to finally clean and organize groceries and do laundry and do the budget and re-stock the cabinets...

We're ending the weekend with dinner and Big Brother catch-up at my parents tonight.

A full weekend, busy and blessed!

A busy week at work ahead, full of a lot of new adjustments and leaning into God's plan.
And then birthday beach trip with my hottie husband! 

No comments:

Post a Comment