Sunday, August 18, 2013

Don't Settle

Last time I wrote, God had just uprooted me from my comfort zone at work and illuminated a different path. This one had a few more stones, twists and turns - and took more faith step to step. Sometimes He does that so we don't settle - settle for just making a difference within our comfort zone, settle for not growing and struggling and coming out stronger, settle for handling it on our own, never needing to cry out to Him or begging Him to carry us on the next step because we're unsure of what it may be. 

It has been a crazy two weeks, and I can definitely say I'm not settled. But things have unfolded in big ways - ways that only God could have seen. 

My new title at work is Admissions Campus Coordinator, and I'm excited that I'll have the opportunity to manage current students who work for admissions, plan the private and small group visit experience, recruit locally, act as a liaison for my Arts & Science family, and implement some new ideas and strategies. 

With the chaos of switching jobs in the midst of faculty coming back,
 new students arriving and office renovations...it'll be a few weeks before I can truly judge the new position. But here are a few things that have made me unsettled...

The upstairs offices, where most of the counselors work and I will soon join them, are being renovated. We've all been downstairs - using laptops and trying to be productive in any open space available. I like having a nest, a bubble, a home. Having organized files. Having a to do list. Having photos and quotes. Having everything in place. So this was a challenge. Everyone was so gracious about it, but it definitely gives me something to look forward to: getting settled. 

In my old office, it was just me. I had a tidy to do list and the peace and quiet to stay focused to quickly get it done. Days went by with little human contact - other than the mailman, drop-by visitors and people at meetings. I really didn't have any other direct co-workers, and my other staffmembers were in a different building. I was a bit of a hermit - which made the introvert in me very happy.
In admissions, there are about ten things going on all the time. People everywhere, working together, talking about their weekend, asking questions, celebrating holidays. It's taking a little to get used to, but it's also nice to have a team of supporters around you all the time. My extrovert is feeling appreciated. 

In the midst of all of this, it was announced this past week that my previous boss (who I love and was so incredibly blessed to work for, one of the primary reasons I was so heartbroken when my job changed) has been chosen to be the new Provost and VP of Academics for Campbell. I'm very proud of him - and see that God wanted to give me a new home before shaking up my old home. Plus, it's exciting that both Dr. Hammond and myself will be getting used to new roles and responsibilities together this semester. Big things are happening in little Buies Creek :) 

All in all, I'm inspired by the possibilities. I'm blessed with the people. I'm open to the opportunities.  I think that being in admissions has shaken me up from settling. And I like to think that my presence there and my ideas and implementation of those ideas will help the admissions team not settle either. 

1 comment:

  1. God calls us to "do big things" and you are doing just that. These are the moments that God is strengthening you to fly... and fly you will, Sweet One. :) Can't wait to hear all of what the Lord is going to do through you and in you in this new path of life.

    ReplyDelete