Saturday, April 27, 2013

Weeping Forward

The name of this post is from Day 3 of Kelly Minter's Ruth bible study, and I think it's a little relevant at this point of my life. (Check it out!)

This particular devotion talks about how Naomi, Orpah and Ruth wept as they were leaving Moab. They were heartbroken. But Naomi and Ruth wept forward. Mourned but continued on to the next part of their lives. Sometimes moving forward isn't easy, but obedience to God's plan is key. 

Although I'm not weeping, this is a period of good-bye in my life... and a period of hellos. 

This past Wednesday night I was feeling a little down. I told Derrick, "nothing's wrong, I'm just feeling a little melancholy..." He smiled that I used the word "melancholy" and then asked if I was just tired of saying goodbye. I hadn't thought of that. But maybe that was it. 

It's the end of the year at Campbell. A time of much free food and festivities. And, this year, a time of big goodbyes. Thirteen of my student ambassadors are graduating. Many of them I have grown close to, and they have all blessed me. I have loved getting to know them, sharing in their lives, and celebrating with them. Three are particularly special to me, and I've been spending time recently with them - saying good bye. 

But after every graduation, we welcome a new class. A fresh group of students who have no idea in what ways their time at Campbell will change them. And, after every leaving ambassador, I invite new students to become a part of the program. I get to know them, am amazed at their dedication and spirit, and get to share in a portion of their lives. 

Tomorrow is our last Sunday at Relationship. Wednesday night we went to our last Life Group. And I'm not good at saying goodbye. I don't want to risk crying. I don't want to make a big deal of it. But we've poured our lives into RC and been poured into for the past year and a half. These people have become our dearest friends and church family. And it's definitely going to be different. 

But Thursday night we had dinner with some new friends from Hope. Derrick is quickly making friends with his coworkers and getting plugged in, and I'm excited to do the same. On one hand, I'm sad to be saying "goodbye" to one church and one friend-group, but I'm excited to be saying "hello" to new friends, a new church family, a new adventure. I'm excited to see what's ahead on the path. 

So sometimes life might make you sad. Moving forward may break your heart. But it's okay. Weep forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment