Monday, April 22, 2013

Her husband is respected...

My husband is a super cool person. 

He's the best best friend. My partner in life. My rock. 

He is someone I respect and am proud of. 
And we've had quite a journey together...

When we met, he wanted to be a PR consultant. For those who don't know him extremely well, that might seem like a stretch, as he's a little more laid back than outgoing. 

I remember when he fell in love with video. It was the same semester he fell in love with me. We took a video production class together because, eh, it seemed like it wouldn't be too bad...And everything changed.

And we began this crazy-beautiful journey. I grasped his hand, and we started down the path. And it's been amazing so far. Sometimes bumpy. Sometimes dark - with God only allowing us to see the very next step. But I'm Derrick's shotgun rider - with my feet up on the dashboard (which he hates) and music playing in the background. 

Our first video production had us as the stars in this suspenseful, romantic, doesn't-actually-make-sense movie trailer. Next thing I know, Derrick was researching the heck out of video equipment.

Then he interned doing a video for Campbell's campus ministries, and his eye for video was evident. Before we knew it, he was getting all of the behind-the-scenes details and experience of this crazy industry, as he began working for the youtube sensations - Rhett & Link. In fact, I started this blog while he was gone on his first out-of-town video shoot and wrote about his positive attitude about the hard journey ahead - check it out. 

Three months into our engagement, R & L let us know that they'd be moving to California. That began the hardest period of Derrick's job-life so far. Months of applying for dozens upon dozens of job. No responses resulted in us getting married at a point when Derrick didn't yet have a job. That required a lot of faith, patience, and budgeting. I remember how hard it was for me to go to work while he was at home, and how devastating it was for him to apply to job after job without hearing back. People gave him a hard time a lot, but I am proud that he never gave up. 

A month and a half into our marriage, Derrick finally took a job at HHGregg. I was so proud of him. He rocked that job. We celebrated every little commission-based check he brought home. Some nights he would do well. Some nights he would come home dejected after selling nothing. I remember sitting at home alone at 10 p.m. at night, wondering if how he was doing. We were thankful he had something. It was hard being in that situation as newlyweds. But it was a huge blessing going through it together.

Then, one day, Derrick got turned around trying to find a wrong address I had given him. When he went to turn around, in a parking lot behind Ruby Tuesday, he saw a sign for Amazing Videos. On a whim, he looked them up - and figured that it wouldn't hurt...he emailed the owner - and a few weeks later, he started working there, soon moving up to Media Director. His time there has been a huge blessing - as he's gotten to know some pretty cool people and work on amazing projects. 

Last October, he stumbled across a job at a pretty well-known video studio in Raleigh. He applied and, out of the other hundred or so applications, he got the job. It was awesome. I was so proud of him. But neither of us felt right about it. We didn't feel at peace. So - out of complete faith - he turned it down. 

Today, Derrick starts a new job in video ministry
 (that we didn't even know we should be dreaming about). 
And I'm just as proud of him as I was the day he started working at HHGregg. 
But - wow - I am so happy for him, and I love marveling in God's amazing plan. Because he's worked so hard for it. We've been praying for it. He's been preparing for it, learning for it, ready for it. 

Derrick Green is the coolest person I know. And I'm so proud of him. I love being his partner.  
No matter what the future holds, it's my hand in his on the path God's paving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment