Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Just Married!

As you can tell, my blog is currently under construction and may be that way for a little while. Thanks for your patience - it will be an awesome newlywed/wifey blog once it's all updated and finished.

I haven't blogged in a while...I was busy getting married, becoming a wife, and loving my husband! I've also been really busy at work - this next month is probably my busiest of the year. But, of all of my faithful readers, I wanted to update you on life. More wedding/wife blogs will be coming.

The week before my wedding my mind was more on work than the dream day quickly approaching. I was hardly as excited as I felt I should be - and that made me sad. And worried. In fact, the Thursday night before my wedding - I was more depressed than excited. But that all changed on Friday. I was off work - and it was the day before my wedding. The day before the moment I had prayed for my whole life. God was already there blessing it.

Friday was wonderful, relaxed, blessed...and then busy. Rain at the rehearsal didn't get us down. Everything went as smoothly as it could have. And Derrick and I quickly realized that we had the BEST wedding party ever - as they all chipped in with eager and positive spirits to help make our reception site into a fairytale setting. They moved tables, put out tablecloths and centerpieces, and hung dozens of paper lanterns. All the while my head was spinning as I tried to take it all in. At the end of the night, I dropped my future husband off - and headed home for my last single sleepover with my best pal. We whispered into the darkness like we've done for the past 13 years - in anticipation of the next day.

My wedding day was calm. Peaceful. More perfect than I could have imagined. It began with Bojangles with my bridesmaids and mom, then we headed to get our nails done. I tried to make sure to sit with everyone. Talk with everyone. Have wedding day moments with everyone. After nails, we headed home to get our hair and makeup done. Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, A Walk to Remember soundtrack, and Lady Antebellum filled the background as we talked and laughed amidst a shower of hairspray.

My one moment of stress came when we were a few minutes behind heading to the chapel for the pictures. And the guys were a few minutes early. We had to hurry with pictures and get them to stall so that they wouldn't see me. It worked, but that would have to be my one almost-bridezilla moment.

Then back to the brideroom where I hugged and took pictures with a steady flow of grandparents, cousins, aunts, bridemaids...It was a blessing to keep me busy, because the moment I wasn't is when it all hit me. Thankfully Jessi decided we should play a game to keep me from crying. Which worked for a little while. Then my bridesmaids and mothers surrounded me in prayer - such a blessing to have amazing Christian woman as best friends. Next, I remember being in a circle with three of my best friends - as they spouted off funny words to keep me from crying at the alter. And then it was time for them to go...



Leaving me in the bridal room all by myself.

And that is when the tears came. Not a flood. Just a whisper of tears. And I wiped them away and joined my Daddy, as we prepared to walk down the aisle. Walking down to the man I had prayed for my whole life, walking away with my husband.



For months, I had feared that Derrick wouldn't look happy. But the moment the doors open and we saw one another, that fear evaporated. There he was. Looking handsome and happy. Waiting for me at the end of the aisle. No more tears threatened my eyes after that. I couldn't help but smile.

When I got to the end of the aisle, I remember asking him how he was and whispering a conversation. We hadn't seen each other all day. I remember looking into his eyes and speaking without words. Taking in the moment together. I remember playing with this hands, as I held them in mine. I remember the kiss being perfect.

The reception was perfect too. Of course, there are little things I wish I had done...but, overall, it was better than I could have imagined. All of my favorite people were there. Everyone danced. I got to dance with all of my favorite men (my husband, my Daddy, my brother, and Derrick's dad). The music was exciting. Derrick had a blast with his best friends. My Best Pal gave a great speech. Derrick's sister caught the bouquet. Everyone had a great time. And I was finally married!

It was a perfect day. A perfect night. Many perfect moments. It was blissfully energizing. Exciting. Peaceful. I didn't want the night to end. But I was happy to be going home with my husband. My best friend. (Random fact: We stopped at McDonalds on the way home. I was so thirsty! If only I had a picture of me in my wedding dress at McDonalds). Perfect.



 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~     ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~     ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~     ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

So there are the highlights for the best day ever. Here are a few details that you're all wondering and that will be further covered in future blogs:  

- The honeymoon was amazing. Lots of sleeping (actual sleeping), eating, shows on the boat, and being married! The weird thing was how normal it felt to be together. To sleep together. To get ready together. It just fit.

- Our house is great! It's so fun to have a home and a partner. To cook dinner and go to bed together (we get tired at, like, 9 p.m. now - no joke). To have a cozy living room and a beautiful kitchen. To watch television together and just be together. Married life is such a blessing!

- Preview of future blogs: CU 125, Honeymoon!, Married Life, My Amazingly Strong Cousin Jacob...

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posting.... thought of you today, in fact, and that I had missed reading your blog. I look forward to more. Happy I could be a part of your special day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love that you posted! Excited to catch up with you soon and hang out over Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete