Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Derrick and I fell in love in fall and winter. While most people have spring flings and summer loves, we became best friends and something more as the wind grew cooler, the leaves began to fall, and jack frost nipped at our noses.

My Mom's birthday is in the fall, which normally means/meant a trip to the mountains as a family. The crisp mountain air, the unrushed roadtrips through the winding roads.

Fall means hoodies and boots. Cool nights and sunshine days. Leaves ablaze. Homecoming and whispers of football games. Orange and black. Halloween - scary movie night with my family. Perfect weather and the wind hugging you with the promise of peace.

Winter means family and friends and friends. Shopping and surprising people with thoughts of love wrapped in festive paper. Cheerful Christmas music and a break from the world. A celebration of Jesus' birth. Jolly sounds and smells and colorful tinsle. The smell of snow. Coats, scarves, jack frost, and fireplaces.

This October has sped past...The first day was my wedding day. A beautiful storybook day, written by God Himself and blessed by Him before I even knew who my costar would be. It was a perfect kind of day. Followed by a wonderful week of relaxation with my very best friend. The first 8 days of October were dedicated to Mr. and Mrs. Green. It was wonderful.

Before I knew it, I was crying as I had to go back to work. I love my job. I am normally more-than-willing to go. But not after a week of Derrick.

The next two weeks sped by in a busy, peaceful, crazy, wonderful blur of getting settled in our home. Learning our routine. And planning a ball. Crazy at work, busy and blessed at home.

And then the other day that I had been looking forward to and dreading for 8 months was upon us. Campbell University's 125th Anniversary Ball. A day that I had talked about and planned more than my wedding. A day that had taken more thought and energy than my wedding. A ball. Just like Cinderella's. Only I already had my Prince Charming :)

Thanks to my amazing teammembers - the ball fell into place with only a few minor moments of stress. There was a timeline of Campbell photos throughout the years, which was fun to look through. The food stations represented different decades. The photobooth line was always animated. Old yearbooks invited people to find themselves and take a step back in time.

And I have never seen so many people do the electic slide in my life. There had to be about 400 people on the dance floor, dancing through the decades as the music evolved from the 1930s to today. I think that the students could have danced all night if we wouldn't have ended the music at the strike of midnight. My favorite part? Sitting up in the stadium seats with my husband, music feeling the walls around us, as we took it all in. Watched every moment. Every dance. Every smile of celebration. And just like that it was over.

This October has sped by. And crept by. I can't believe it's almost over - but I will take a million memories with me as it passes. This October was a lucky one. It held the most important event of my life and the most important event of my career...and it didn't disappoint. This October has been covered by prayer my whole life - and God truly blessed. I am sad to see it go, but happy to take it's souveniers with me forever.

Now, as I look forward to Visitation Day, a Communication event, and Johnson Family Halloween Movie Day to end a wonderful month - I say: Thank you, October...Bring on November and December!

2 comments:

  1. It was a great month, indeed. So glad the ball went so well. I knew you'd do a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete