Monday, December 30, 2013

If only there were someone...

I'm making my way through the Old Testament. A journey I began last January. I eagerly read the stories in Genesis and Exodus. Made my way through Leviticus-Deuteronomy with eyebrows raised and eyelids heavy. Took a reprieve by reading the Psalms. Made my way back through Joshua and Judges. Did a bible study in Ruth. Fought some wars, got lost in some drama and learned to worship in Samuel, Kings and Chronicles. Found hope in Ezra and Nehemiah. Relished my time in Esther. And now I'm in Job. 

I'm really feeling for the guy. Really.

He was a good guy. Upstanding. Dedicated. Successful. 

And then he lost it all. 

Except for his wife...who tells him to curse God and die. 

And his friends...who tell him he must have done something wrong, evil, sinful... 

This weekend I dug into chapter 9. Painful praise. Acknowledging God's power, while wondering why the Creator of the universe is against him. 

My heart is breaking for Job. I just want to give him a hug. 

And then I come across a little verse (Job 9:33) that I'd never discovered before. One that causes excitement. Gratitude. Praise. Worship. Wow. Chill bumps. I'll cushion it between other verses for context. Jump in with me:

God is not a man like me that I might answer him.
That we might confront each other in court.

If only there were someone to arbitrate between us,
to lay his hand upon us both,

someone to remove God's rod from me, 
so that his terror would frighten me no more,

Then I would speak without fear of him,
but as it now stands with me, I cannot.

Did you catch that? Job is alone. He feels God is against him. That God's fury is like a lighting bolt straight to Job. And, in utter distress, he only wishes he could have a mediator. Someone to help him understand God. Someone to speak to God on Job's behalf and Job on God's behalf. Someone to remove the pain. 

Wow. Do I take Jesus for granted or what! Right there in the midst of unbelievable pain, Job cries out for a Savior, a Counselor. He cries out for God with us. He cries out for the very Person we can cry to. 

What an amazing blessing! What an amazing reminder! No matter what you're going through - you don't have to go through it alone.


 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
 1 Timothy 2:5

No comments:

Post a Comment