Sunday, February 17, 2013

Becoming a better me: D.I.S.C

This week has been a week of training and inspiration. Connecting and growing.

On Wednesday, we had a consultant come in to Campbell to talk to the admissions counselors and coordinators about more effectively reaching out to prospects, building relationships with them, and focusing on those for whom Campbell is best. 

I don't necessarily think we learned anything new. We just learned how to be better at what we're already doing. Learned how to make more of a difference. Learned how to be more effective in reaching our goals and living our purpose. And it was an inspiration to me. 

The students I work with mean so much to me, and it was a blessing to learn how to be better for them. 



On Saturday, we got to hang out with the leadership team at RC. These are people that I work with every Sunday, but seldom do I get to just hang out with them and know them. We had all taken an assessment beforehand, to learn our different personality types. 

DISC: Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, or Conscientiousness

We got to see what we were, explore what that meant, and then talk through how we work best with others and how to relate to others. It was a great tool for work and ministry. It has already helped me - in one day - better understand the people I serve with and how we relate to each other. It was also cool to see how Derrick and I matched up against one another. 



I was SI. Primarily steadiness (Emphasis on cooperating with others; patient, calm, listener, etc.), secondarily influence (influence on shaping the environment by influence; prioritizes action and enthusiasm).

Derrick was CD. Primarily conscientiousness (focused on quality and accuracy; cautious and critical, motivated by expertise), secondarily dominant (motivated by winning and success; direct and strong-willed)


You're never done. There's always things to learn and room to grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment