Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Marriage is like church...

You read the title and now you're trying to figure out what exactly I mean. They both revolve around God? They both require joy and passion and love? Umm...?

Here we go...

There are some Sunday mornings that I don't want to get out of bed. I don't feel like getting out of bed to go to church. God will understand. The bed is just so warm and cozy. 

But I stick my pink-toed foot out of the covers and slowly motivate myself to get up. Get ready. Brush my teeth. Hope that my eye shadow is even and that I don't forget mascara. Choose an outfit that looks cute and friendly but not like I'm trying too hard. 

And off to church we go.

And, in all my life, I've never once regretted going to church. I've never once looked back and thought, "Man, I should have just stayed home." I always feel blessed after church. Encouraged. Sleepy, sure,  but peacefully so.

Many parts of marriage are the same way. We're selfish people. Sleep sounds so good. What we want to do sounds so good. It's so easy not to want to make an effort to love the other person. 

But I have never once regretted giving up my time to love Derrick. Never once regretted listening to him share an idea with me, playing video games with him, showering him with kisses. Sure, on the front end, sometimes I'd rather just put on my favorite tv show, read my book, or go to sleep...but, in the end, I never ever regret loving him.

So why not take some time to stick your cute-colored toes outside of the covers and make an effort to love. When the Sunday afternoon moment rolls around, you wont' regret making the Sunday morning effort :)

1 comment:

  1. Well said and I am in total agreement! And it reminds me of a little piece of info I gave you on your wedding day that kind of relates to this....haha ;) LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete