Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Love Deeply.

I was really struggling yesterday with a few key questions: What am I doing to make a difference in the lives of others? How am I making an impact for Christ? Am I just wasting my time, my opportunities, my talents? What more can I do today, right now?

...and so I decided to share a passage of scripture with you that God shared with me. Hopefully it will inspire you. Don't you love when you look at a verse or passage that you've probably seen at least a dozen times before but this time it means more?

 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.  Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.  Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:7-11

There are so many great morsels of truth tucked away in this passage, but I will focus on those words and principles that touched me today, in hopes that they may touch you too.

"Above all, love each other deeply."  Love deeply. Love passionately. Love completely. Do love. Feel love. Act in love. Show love. How often do we - do I - forget to show love to others in everything that I do. And to love those around me deeply and completely. 

"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling."  The first part of this command is great...but the second part is humbling, and I think it probably speaks to many of us. How often do I volunteer for something or to help someone and yet complain and grumble and have a negative spirit while anticipating actually "offering hospitality". Even though my spiritual gift is exhortation, I am selfish. I like using my time for me when I get the chance...and too often find myself - if only in my mind - having a poor spirit about being kind, welcoming, and helpful to others. 

"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others..." This is something I try to do everyday but never do enough. We each have different gifts, talents, skills that God has given us. Everyone is different - and its awesome how He made us all unique. And we each have gifts that we've been given that we can use every day to touch others, serve others, encourage others. Never focus on what you're not good at, but take a good look at what you are good at, what you enjoy doing, the talents you have - and then use those traits to serve others and to worship God.

"If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ."  I think this one builds on everything above. If I'm serving with God's strength and to His glory then I shouldn't have a negative spirit, but a spirit of love. If I'm looking for ways daily to use my gifts for God's glory then I can have faith that He will give me strength so that His will and His praise will be accomplished. 

I hope this has encouraged you today. 

To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever.

1 comment: