Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's within reach...

I haven't posted in a while and, with my wedding being 20-something days away, I thought I should say a few words.

1. I'm exhausted, but happy. We thought we had most of the planning done, but there are still a lot of little details that creep up on you. DJ's playlist - which is a fun little detail. The programs - which turned out to be really cute. The bridesmaids shoes - which will forever haunt me. On top of that, October is an insane month at work - so I've been busy trying to make sure that everything is taken care of. That I'm not missing anything, forgetting anything.

2. I love our home. I can't wait to have you all over! We painted our living room and dining room this past weekend. It was a lot of work. It wasn't perfect. But it was such a good experience for us. The first green I chose was hideous - ugliest cover i've ever seen - so bad it made me tear up, to which Derrick took me into our bedroom, had me lay down on our imaginary bed (denoted by two pillows on the floor), and assured me that it was going to be okay.
          Derrick stepped in brown paint and, in trying to make sure the paint tray didn't spill, stepped on the carpet. I had to hold my breath, and then decided to laugh instead of get upset. I'm glad it didn't go perfectly. I'm glad we had to dance in a messy kitchen with an ugly green wall. I'm glad we had to powwow on an imaginary bed. I'm glad we had to clean a stain out of the carpet. 

3. We had our two premarital counseling sessions. They went well. It all seemed like common sense to me - to which Derrick reminded me that it's not. A lot of people don't understand. I'm just blessed to have good role models in my life, to have had amazing friends who are beautiful young brides...plus, I've been reading marriage books and studying marriage scripture and biblical roles for husbands and wives for years. And praying for this time. God and I have talked about it A LOT. It's a passion of mine. It's important to me. I am not going to be perfect, but I want to be the best I can.

4. I'm excited about the wedding - and I hope that it's a time filled with friendship and music, kisses and laughter. I think that when I think of my wedding day those are the things that come to mind. A happy soundtrack of picture perfect moments with my best friends. My dream is to have one of those euphoric nights where the rest of the world disappears and it's just you and your favorite people (with really good music in the background).

5. We're having Zaxbys at the wedding. True story.


6. My poor mother has the worst bride as a daughter. I can't make decisions. I'm more excited about painting my house than picking out a menu. I'm independent and want to do it all, but don't want to do any of it. But I'm coming around to it. And everything is falling into place.

7. Oh yeah, I'm the head of the committee for Campbell's 125th Anniversary Ball. On October 21. Big deal. If you're a student or alum, you should come. Register online at www.campbell.edu.

8. No one has given me a recipe book. Facebook inbox me your favorite recipe!

9. I love Derrick Green. We laugh a lot. And dance a lot. And he said he likes that I make everything into a song.

I know there's probably more. But those are the random points that come to mind right now. VERY SOON I'll be updating my blog to represent my newlywed status as Mrs. Green! That's right - be excited!

2 comments:

  1. awwww! DO tell me you will have chocolate dipped strawberries at your wedding!;) i wish we could go. The girls were dying to go too, but- explained to them that family must come first. Why did my cousin's wedding have to be the EXACT day and the EXACT time? booo hooooo btw, making this decision was not easy for me. :/ we love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you! :) I am so looking forward to capturing you both on your special day. That is too funny about the paint. I know that feeling well! I would love to be on your "list" to see your new home! Love you!

    ReplyDelete